Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

mysterious engine leak

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DL175 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have unknown fluid leaking from the bottom of my engine on my 2010 V6 4x4 RAV4. It has 100,000 problem free miles.

Concurrently, I just noticed for the first time that my engine oil was half a quart low after 4000 miles.

Anyone know what is leaking here? It's the only leak and it is slowly getting bigger after 6 months of weeping.

Here is the image. I am under the front bumper looking at the black oil pan on the left, with the leak on the right, or, drivers side.

websterart.com/images/rav-leak.jpg

It looks a little like where the clutch would be...if it wasn't an automatic.

Thanks for looking,
- mark

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like engine oil and appear to be leaking badly. It is impossible to know where it is coming from unless you have the car on a hoist. Had a leak on a Camry and the mechanic put dye in the oil and said to drive it for a week and come back so they can see it with an ultraviolet light. Turns out I had a camshaft and crankshaft seal leaking. Was not cheap to fix even though the parts were under $20 but labour over $800.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.