Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Pacific Blue - What is that mystery button on the very top of the dash near the windshield in the VIN area? Can't seem to find any explaination in the owners manual. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Mystery button on top of dash?

Dave N said:
2006 Pacific Blue - What is that mystery button on the very top of the dash near the windshield in the VIN area? Can't seem to find any explaination in the owners manual. Thanks in advance.
Do you have "auto" on you head light switch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
flyingn said:
Congrats dave!!! Post some pics.. I too wondered the same thing about the 2 domes on the dash.... Ill bet that they have something to do with the stalibility control...
It mid be those are Auto head light sensor, you in us are missing this option.
Europe there is Auto in Head Lights in RAV4 X.
Are those like two half of egs and black. if so those are sensors for lights.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave N said:
No "auto" indication on the headlight switch.
All I can say is that when I pull into the garage, the instrument cluster gets brighter. So I am sure this is a light sensing device for the instrument cluster.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the auto headlight detector..

My 01 Celica has it... little black dome, about the size of a quarter.

If you cover it with your hand for about 5-10 seconds your lights will turn on (i.e. your instrument dash gets brighter when you pull into the garage, or go through a tunnel)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have one on my '02 Camry; I was told it was for the climate control system (though in that car I have the digital a/c controls whereas on my Base RAV I do not, yet the "thingie" you describe is still there).

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jkat said:
Its the auto headlight detector..

My 01 Celica has it... little black dome, about the size of a quarter.

If you cover it with your hand for about 5-10 seconds your lights will turn on (i.e. your instrument dash gets brighter when you pull into the garage, or go through a tunnel)
Since my Rav has daytime running lights, the headlights are not affected, only the instrument panel gets brighter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
flyingn said:
me too Etop. Hey, if we did not have drl's would our headlights automatically come on when its dark?? I do not remember reading anything about this on RAV's
Only in Europe sorry you cannot get it on states

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
flyingn said:
me too Etop. Hey, if we did not have drl's would our headlights automatically come on when its dark?? I do not remember reading anything about this on RAV's
It should switch from the DRLs to your low beams then. Not to mention turn on your tail lights.

Just like my '00 Celica.

·
Registered
129 Posts
nouse4aname said:
flyingn said:
It should switch from the DRLs to your low beams then. Not to mention turn on your tail lights.

Just like my '00 Celica.
No I have readed from manual those are Auto head lights!

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,486 Posts
It says only Rav4's with Automatic Air conditioning has this. See pic. The other one is just a blank.
Yes, the one on the right is a blank in my 2008 Limited. But from 2009-2012, there is another light sensor for the automatic headlights there in the Limited.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the one on the right is a blank in my 2008 Limited. But from 2009-2012, there is another light sensor for the automatic headlights there in the Limited.
Good thing I got the Limited, I didn't know they would throw in that extra option. However, I don't see any Auto headlight sensor in the Toyota OEM Repair Manual or Electrical Wiring Diagram.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,486 Posts
Good thing I got the Limited, I didn't know they would throw in that extra option. However, I don't see any Auto headlight sensor in the Toyota OEM Repair Manual or Electrical Wiring Diagram.
If you're looking at the 2006 manuals, it won't be in there. The auto headlights were added in 2009.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts