Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We have a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6, about 175,000 miles. The car runs great, no rust and steers tight. I just replaced the tires and had it aligned. They did say they needed a part to finish the alignment, something that needs to be replaced in the rear, I think some sort of bushing? I can't remember what they said, but I do need to get it back over and get that finished. Any idea what that part is?

We noticed it had a slight vibration that seemed to be coming from the rear when we bought it about 4 months ago, but at the time it had very old tires that were due for replacement. I assumed that was the cause of the vibration and decided to replace the tires and align the car. They're nice new Goodyear all-seasons now. After a little bit, we noticed the vibration was still there. I took the car back and the shop said that the rear passenger side wheel was about 2oz out of balance, like a weight or two had fallen off. They re-balanced the tires for free and sent me on my way. The vibration is still there...I'm at a loss as to what it could be, everything seems so tight on the car. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? It just passed NH inspection as well at the time of the tire change.

The car drives straight and shifts great. No engine lights, all suspension components appear to be fine, no ripped boots or bushings gone that I can see.

This vibration does not happen all of the time, only at around 55mph, and then it starts to go away after about 62ish, rides fine at 65 on the highway but starts to become evident again at about 72 and gets worse as you go faster. That's why I thought it'd be a tire/wheel issue, maybe a bent rim but Goodyear checked out all 4 wheels and said they should be good to go!

My thoughts:
  1. Could it be a bent rim and the shop just didn't see it because it wasn't that bad?
  2. Should I just go get a second opinion at another shop?
  3. It does need brakes, does anyone think it could be happening because of that? I'm waiting for good weather here in NH and some time to replace both pads and rotors.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The only one I can recall about vibration at the speeds you mention is this one

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We have a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6, about 175,000 miles. The car runs great, no rust and steers tight. I just replaced the tires and had it aligned. They did say they needed a part to finish the alignment, something that needs to be replaced in the rear, I think some sort of bushing? I can't remember what they said, but I do need to get it back over and get that finished. Any idea what that part is?

We noticed it had a slight vibration that seemed to be coming from the rear when we bought it about 4 months ago, but at the time it had very old tires that were due for replacement. I assumed that was the cause of the vibration and decided to replace the tires and align the car. They're nice new Goodyear all-seasons now. After a little bit, we noticed the vibration was still there. I took the car back and the shop said that the rear passenger side wheel was about 2oz out of balance, like a weight or two had fallen off. They re-balanced the tires for free and sent me on my way. The vibration is still there...I'm at a loss as to what it could be, everything seems so tight on the car. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? It just passed NH inspection as well at the time of the tire change.

The car drives straight and shifts great. No engine lights, all suspension components appear to be fine, no ripped boots or bushings gone that I can see.

This vibration does not happen all of the time, only at around 55mph, and then it starts to go away after about 62ish, rides fine at 65 on the highway but starts to become evident again at about 72 and gets worse as you go faster. That's why I thought it'd be a tire/wheel issue, maybe a bent rim but Goodyear checked out all 4 wheels and said they should be good to go!

My thoughts:
  1. Could it be a bent rim and the shop just didn't see it because it wasn't that bad?
  2. Should I just go get a second opinion at another shop?
  3. It does need brakes, does anyone think it could be happening because of that? I'm waiting for good weather here in NH and some time to replace both pads and rotors.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Welcome Jason! Have a look through 4.3 Mechanical for some recent threads on the rear universal joints to the rear differential. I didn’t see if your RAV is 4WD, but if so this has become a common service life issue on the 4WD models, and can exhibit the signs you’re seeing. If yours is Fwd, then the old standbys of out of balance/bent rim or bad tire would be the defaults - although you’ve already cleared those. The other possibility is a rear wheel bearing, but there have been very few reports of those going bad. Can you feel it from one side or another in back, or is is mostly even R-L?

2012 RAV4 Base FWD. Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

Link to SAE J2807 test description

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have someone remove your driveshaft for you, if you can't. It's 4 bolts on each end and two in the middle. (assuming 4 wheel drive) Then go for a drive. If the vibration is gone, then it's probably a bad universal joint on the rear of the driveshaft as mentioned above. It also may be your driveshaft weights fell off and now it's just unbalanced.
If the driveshaft is original, then come back here for ideas on a replacement. Toyota OEM is over $1000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooooh good call. This is why I love communities like this. I had a rear u joint fail on my Subaru wagon a couple years back and it did something similar, I just replaced it with a junkyard driveshaft. I will look into it, thank you guys! I will be back if I need to replace the part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Jason! Have a look through 4.3 Mechanical for some recent threads on the rear universal joints to the rear differential. I didn’t see if your RAV is 4WD, but if so this has become a common service life issue on the 4WD models, and can exhibit the signs you’re seeing. If yours is Fwd, then the old standbys of out of balance/bent rim or bad tire would be the defaults - although you’ve already cleared those. The other possibility is a rear wheel bearing, but there have been very few reports of those going bad. Can you feel it from one side or another in back, or is is mostly even R-L?

2012 RAV4 Base FWD. Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

Link to SAE J2807 test description
Have someone remove your driveshaft for you, if you can't. It's 4 bolts on each end and two in the middle. (assuming 4 wheel drive) Then go for a drive. If the vibration is gone, then it's probably a bad universal joint on the rear of the driveshaft as mentioned above. It also may be your driveshaft weights fell off and now it's just unbalanced.
If the driveshaft is original, then come back here for ideas on a replacement. Toyota OEM is over $1000
Oooooh good call. This is why I love communities like this. I had a rear u joint fail on my Subaru wagon a couple years back and it did something similar, I just replaced it with a junkyard driveshaft. I will look into it, thank you guys! I will be back if I need to replace the part.

I don't really feel it more on one particular side. It is 4wd.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

I don't really feel it more on one particular side. It is 4wd.
For this car I would use a new one since old driveshaft have less life in them. These driveshaft can go bad as low as 60,000 miles. Ebay sell them as low as $189.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts