Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As a 1st time hybrid owner, I am sure I will have a ton of questions!

I know there is a lot of info on this forum and that some of you have a very deep knowlodge of hybrid vehicles so here is my 1st question:

Name the 5 most important things a new hybrid owner should know before getting behing the wheel

I think this might turn into a fun thread ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
1) The battery indicator will never say full
2) Like any other car, your mileage will suck in winter
3) If you want good fuel economy, learn to drive efficiently.
4) Yes, that noise is normal
5) EV mode is your friend.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Acceleration, passing power is dangerously inadequate.
It's a parade vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1) The battery indicator will never say full
2) Like any other car, your mileage will suck in winter
3) If you want good fuel economy, learn to drive efficiently.
4) Yes, that noise is normal
5) EV mode is your friend.
+5!
You hit the nail on the head.
3 is the most important.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't find #3 that important. I drive pretty much like I always did with one exception. I let off the throttle for a second to shut of the ice one speed is reached. Otherwise I am a fairly aggressive, although courteous and safe, driver. Usually first off line, not afraid to or avoid turning on the ice. I still get 6 l/100kms or less in city.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Acceleration, passing power is dangerously inadequate.
It's a parade vehicle.
Don’t know why you say that. Our 2016 Limited HB has plenty of acceleration and passing power. It does not run like a turbo, but getting on the hwy is no problem. O to 60 in 8.3 sec is good enough for getting on to any hwy. It has no problem maintaining a speed of 75 on I70, with a 7.5% grade here in Colorado.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don’t know why you say that. Our 2016 Limited HB has plenty of acceleration and passing power. It does not run like a turbo, but getting on the hwy is no problem. O to 60 in 8.3 sec is good enough for getting on to any hwy. It has no problem maintaining a speed of 75 on I70, with a 7.5% grade here in Colorado.
Agreed, especially in "sport." But basically I just drive in normal mode on the highway and use sport on mountains. Plenty of power for passing.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Don’t know why you say that. Our 2016 Limited HB has plenty of acceleration and passing power. It does not run like a turbo, but getting on the hwy is no problem. 0 to 60 in 8.3 sec is good enough for getting on to any hwy. It has no problem maintaining a speed of 75 on I70, with a 7.5% grade here in Colorado.
Pico is being a little facetious. :wink ANY other RAV4 is "dangerously" slow compared to our V6 jackrabbits, my '06 V6 4WD being listed at 6.2 sec here. Does make me wonder how I ever survived the 4 cylinder cars I drove in the 70s & 80s when many took 12 seconds or more to 60 - my Tercel 4WD wagon probably being the slowest at 16.4 sec. Of course 200 more HP in the RAV4 does make a big difference!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Booo, my useful post was deleted.

Liking the 0-60 times above. Brought me to something else I've been thinking about I just created a new thread on.

I also wonder if there's any hp/torque variation between vehicles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts