Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent issue with my main console... it will Randomly turn off and then turn back on... seemingly resetting but goes back to where it was before it turns off... it is as if it reboots but then comes right back on... it has happened maybe 3x in 7k miles (yes I have 7k miles in just a few months on this terrific beast)

Has anyone had this issue? I don't see a TSB on it ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I actually just had that happen to me this morning on my way to work. Probably the 2nd or 3rd time since March. I THINK it just happens while the car is stopped but I have no idea why.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a XLE and haven't seen the whole screen turning of but my BT connection is driving me crazy. It loses my phone during driving and then comes back on. Music and messages stop working so suddenly sometimes. Not sure if my phone is doing that or the car BT is temperamental. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, it has happened once on mine. I noticed for a while the map wasn't moving on the home screen, and it stopped responding to touch. I couldn't mess with it on the highway, but it rebooted itself after a couple minutes as if I had just turned on the ignition.
I would google 'entune problems'. The Highlander forum seemed to have a lot of posts about this. I like this Rav4, but Entune is an awkward steaming pile.

I have a XLE and haven't seen the whole screen turning of but my BT connection is driving me crazy. It loses my phone during driving and then comes back on. Music and messages stop working so suddenly sometimes. Not sure if my phone is doing that or the car BT is temperamental. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Do you have the Entune App installed and registered? A few seconds after you power on, you should be able to swipe down your notifications window and see "Toyota Entune is running". No issues with my Galaxy Note 5, it stays connected.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't had mine reset but the lockup is far too common. There is a thread on this site about it.

Bluetooth drops and reconnects occasionally. Since I use BT on my phone for other stuff (sport band, headphones/ear buds, OBDII) all the time and they are solid, I don't think it's the phone.

Bottom line for me is, the head unit is messed up and Toyota appears to be ignoring it.

As I've had the nav lockup and it isn't obvious for a while, someone could get very lost before they realize it is not working.

If it locks up, press and hold the radio power button until the unit resets.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you google "Entune freezing and crashing", a lot comes up for this issue. It definitely sounds a lot like a software issue so hopefully an update is in the works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an intermittent issue with my main console... it will Randomly turn off and then turn back on... seemingly resetting but goes back to where it was before it turns off... it is as if it reboots but then comes right back on... it has happened maybe 3x in 7k miles (yes I have 7k miles in just a few months on this terrific beast)

I HAVE A NEW HIACE 2019 1100km I HAD THE HEATER ON FACE SETTING HOT!..SCREEN WENT DEAD TWICE IN 30km...AS A PUNT /I GUESS... I SUSPEC?... THE SCREEN GOT OVERHEATED.AND POWERED ITSELF DOWN..TURNED HEATER TO FACE SETTING AND FAULT DID NOT RECUR IN REMAINING 80km....WILL TRY FURTHER TESTING OF THEORY

·
Registered
55 Posts
In 1.5 years since I have my Rav4, it happened 3 or 4 times to have an unresponsive touch screen, and once my map disappeared completely. Each time, an engine restart fixed the issue, but not immediately, after 2 minutes of having the system shut down so that it really shuts down. It happens randomly and no error is stored. I doubt any Toyota dealer can catch this problem when you go to them with your car. It is just a software bug.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
There was a subsequent TSB fix for this problem, see the 4.4 TSB subforum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was a subsequent TSB fix for this problem, see the 4.4 TSB subforum.
Do you mean this one ? This is from 2016 and my car was built on 01 of June 2018. I updated the maps and the firmware by myself with the USB flash drive (downloaded package from Toyota website for my VIN) two months ago but I still encountered one time an unresponsive touch.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Do you mean this one ? This is from 2016 and my car was built on 01 of June 2018. I updated the maps and the firmware by myself with the USB flash drive (downloaded package from Toyota website for my VIN) two months ago but I still encountered one time an unresponsive touch.
Discussion topic is for MY2016, the TSB was released after they posted, for your '18 you should have the dealer fix it since it's should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My console freezes about once every two weeks, where I have to turn off the car at a red light, and then turn it back on!
2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My console freezes about once every two weeks, where I have to turn off the car at a red light, and then turn it back on!
2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited.
Mine did that when new... The dealer updated the firmware 2 or 3 times current on mine is CU.22.15 & it very rarely freezes now... Maybe a couple times a year. (Head Unit w/ Navigation)

No need to shut off the RAV to restart the unit. Push and hold the left (volume) knob. It will reboot after about 5 or 10 sec. Once it comes back up the radio will be off/muted, just push & release immediately (the same volume knob) to turn back on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts