Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015XLE AWD with entune. I do not have the navigation option, however I would like to upgrade. Is there a way to upgrade the unit to a stock head unit with nav system or do I have to purchase an aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Before you go to that expense, take a look at the map upgrade costs. Sometimes that can run $150 and for that type of money you can get a Garmin with lifetime maps. There are other posts here where people are changing out the head unit and it is sure nothing that I would want to try and do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree - there's little incentive to purchase a costly navigation unit that you cannot update without paying more money (essentially a subscription fee if you think about it). Why not just use your phone or a Garmin as a navigation unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread is interesting to me and raises some questions.

I am very new to all this. Currently THINKING about getting a new RAV4 hybrid. I have been assuming I would want the nav package...but the question about paying regularly for updated maps certainly makes that less attractive - and it hadn't occurred to me that there would be an ongoing cost (see? I'm just starting out...).

Can anyone point me to a resource that has info about the ongoing costs/options for the nav unit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
The problem with these in-built systems is that it is technology dependent.
If I buy a 10-year old Lexus with maps on CD, there's a good chance that there is no updated maps for it and you're pretty much screwed at this point.
SD card might be here another 10 years. Technology changes so fast that it is hard to predict what will be supported in the future.

At least with your portable GPS, you can toss it out or replace it with the next "big" thing.

Having said that, I changed my radio to a built-in GPS unit only because it was cheap and I get my updates from Internet maps for free.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, thanks for the info, and some valid points here. A couple more questions on the nav system...

Setting aside the questions about paying for map upgrades (which I am not inclined to do, at least not often), how is the system in general? How does it compare to, say, a dedicated Garmin GPS?

Aside from paying for maps once in a while (I assume that can be as often or as infrequently as you choose - ie there's nothing that requires updating the maps on any schedule), are there any other ongoing costs/fees/subscriptions to use the nav system fully?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only real reason to upgrade the maps is if roads get added or changed. I haven't used a standalone GPS for several years so I can't compare them directly but I like that it's built in so I don't have to mount it or deal with running a cord to it, I will say the nav in my '15 is greatly improved over the one I used in a '13 Camry. There are no ongoing fees to use the system though some of the other apps require a data connection through your phone.

I figure I can make do with current maps for 5-6 years and then I'll consider putting in an aftermarket system with nav. The big drawback to aftermarket is losing access to some of the vehicle settings in the stock unit but a techstream dongle would give access to all that and more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think if you're looking for a system that gives you the most up-to-date maps, then the factory Nav system from Toyota or Lexus is NOT the way to go. I believe they only update their maps once a year, and you have to buy it and get it installed. Whereas with a portable GPS, a lot of them come with lifetime updates at no extra charge.
That all being said I still bought my car with the built-in Nav (so I could get all the tech features like TSS). Was disappointed though with regards to a street missing close to me and it's an important one. When I last updated the nav in my previous Lexus CT200h, it showed the street. But it was missing on my new Rav4 even though the car was newer.

OK, thanks for the info, and some valid points here. A couple more questions on the nav system...

Setting aside the questions about paying for map upgrades (which I am not inclined to do, at least not often), how is the system in general? How does it compare to, say, a dedicated Garmin GPS?

Aside from paying for maps once in a while (I assume that can be as often or as infrequently as you choose - ie there's nothing that requires updating the maps on any schedule), are there any other ongoing costs/fees/subscriptions to use the nav system fully?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I get it that a separate dedicated system, sold by a company that considers GPS systems their primary business, is going to have better options - its their bread & butter in a competitive market. I have a little Garmin Nuvi GPS that's OK. I take it with me on trips to Europe where I plan to rent a car, and I've used it domestically for long road trips. But it's got wires (power), so not a "clean" installation, and its got a small screen. OTOH, I do have "lifetime" map updates for it.

I'd like to be able to think the built-in Nav system is about as good or nearly so, assuming you have maps that are not terribly outdated. I can probably live with a paid map update every 2-3 years, but I'm not going to obsess about more frequent updates (I'm also not going to follow the GPS directions into a lake, either...I've got along just fine for a long time before GPS was invented so I'm not brain-dead dependent on them).

I guess my question is really more about how usable/how good the system is (assuming you have current maps/maps with no mistakes).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts