Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Pioneer Avic-D1 navigation system and am installing it myself. I've done installs in the past, but never a nav system.

Anyway, the unit needs to be hooked up to the vehicle speed sensor, which I expect has a wire behind the existing factory radie due to the speed sensitive volume.

Anybody know if it's there and which color it is?

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the GPS can figure speed on its own. You may have an optional fuel sensor (as some marine navs do), to calculate MPG, etc.

As for navs, I'm partial to the Lowrance iWay 500c!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In mine, the speed sense was a purple wire in the radio harness. I have (had) the JBL system; the base system may be different.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of Nav systems use internal gyroscopes and the car's speed sensor in addition to the GPS signal. This is useful if you lose GPS signal - travelling through a tunnel for example.

The speed sensor is the violet wire on the non-JBL as well. Its on the same connector as the black white and red wires running from the aux port. However, if I'm reading the wiring diagram right, there's seperate (black) speed sensor wire that runs to the speedometer. Don't know if they carry the same signal.

Hope this helps. Email me if you want a copy of the Toyota wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
gps

Wow, if we need GPS in a tunnel, we are in big trouble. Hard to get lost in a tunnel...unless your with a cute chick..lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not just useful in tunnels, but if you are in a city downtown with lots of tall buildings, the GPS will loose signal. With the Gyro and speed sensor, the GPS will still have tracking capability even though it cannot see the bird in the sky. Very useful if you are in a big city with a GPS.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrm.

I keep checking crutchfield for double din nav fitment and they say nothing fits..

very irritating.

Did you get this installed? did it fit ok?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts