Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought 2020 RAV4. It came with all the packages (weather, audio, technology) but not the integrated nav. We special ordered this and just assumed nav would be included. What are our options as far as pairing our phone and using google maps or whatever? Must you always have a phone connected for nav? Is google maps the best?

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Nav is only offered on Premium Audio which is not an option on any trim below Adventure/TRD/Trail/XSE. There are several nav apps that offer offline nav, all require a phone of course, but not necessarily a data connection, one of the Toyota apps is Scout GPS, but it's pretty useless compared to the other phone apps from all reports.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just use a Garmin 7 inch screen( Garmin DriveSmart 61LMT-S)
that I place in the storage tray. It fits near perfectly and can be seen even in the brightest sun shine which I can't say for the main screen on my 19 XLE. And my wife can enter destinations while the car is moving which on the OEM you can't do. Apps on phones are only good if you have strong cell signal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've become quite the Wazer through Apple Play. I chose it because it's the best on volume control. Plus, I think it provides the best instant information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've become quite the Wazer through Apple Play. I chose it because it's the best on volume control. Plus, I think it provides the best instant information.
A second vote for Waze. It’s very good and works fine with Car Play

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2013 Prius 4 with Solar Pkg
2012 Prius 4
2012 Prius v 5 with Panorama and ATP

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I just use a Garmin 7 inch screen( Garmin DriveSmart 61LMT-S)
that I place in the storage tray. It fits near perfectly and can be seen even in the brightest sun shine which I can't say for the main screen on my 19 XLE. And my wife can enter destinations while the car is moving which on the OEM you can't do. Apps on phones are only good if you have strong cell signal.
Just bought one, Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Waze = $1000 cell phone, data plan and cell signal.

Garmin = $200 unit, no cell plan, good world wide from satellite signals.
You must be in the < 1% of adults without a smartphone these days.
I do actually know one other person like that.

Waze also equals the most current digital maps available and free updates for life. Sometimes poor cell service can be an issue. For those areas, I’ve learned to download maps in advance to avoid any issues.

It’s all subjective though. To each their own. For me it’s the preferred method. That’s just my opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it)

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Waze = $1000 cell phone, data plan and cell signal.

Garmin = $200 unit, no cell plan, good world wide from satellite signals.
1K??? Exaggerate much?

I have an Note+10 and paid 600 for it...new because I got it on sale during TGiving week. You can preload the map; but if not you need data. If you preload the maps you dont need cell service at all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just bought one, Thanks for the recommendation!
We bought it for the Rav and was glad because at least for us it seemed like on our trips to Florida the sun completely made the OEM screen useless. Not sure if the premium audio screen version is different or just the location in the Rav. Our Lexus ES350 has navigation and you can see the screen perfectly on our trips to Florida. I used double sided stick tape to glue a small plastic angle so it doesn't fall backward but it seems that the cord rolled up in the storage tray will stop it from doing that. There is also a Garmin that connects with the GPS and will give you live traffic. We also use WAZE on cell phone to see current issues but it is not connected OEM screen. There is a lot of dead spots with our carrier in the mountains and rural areas that we would not rely on phone GPS alone.

Garmin voice recognition is better than my Lexus Nav.

IMG_2921.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
1K??? Exaggerate much?

I have an Note+10 and paid 600 for it...new because I got it on sale during TGiving week. You can preload the map; but if not you need data. If you preload the maps you dont need cell service at all.
If you preload the maps how does the phone determine GPS location, do you need a data plan for GPS or cell service. I thought the location was based on cell service triangulation. I don't know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you preload the maps how does the phone determine GPS location, do you need a data plan for GPS or cell service. I thought the location was based on cell service triangulation. I don't know.
Although the phones will often encourage the use of cellular data to “improve accuracy”, they actually have GPS chipsets in them. They use that for positioning. They use cellular data to download the actual viewable map data. (Which saves memory on the phone) You can download this map data in advance and therefore negate the need for a cellular data connection. This is also handy for people with limited data plans. They can preload map data while on a WiFi connection and then still enjoy their phones GPS features while traveling without burning through their data plan.

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4

·
Registered
412 Posts
You must be in the < 1% of adults without a smartphone these days.
I do actually know one other person like that.

Waze also equals the most current digital maps available and free updates for life. Sometimes poor cell service can be an issue. For those areas, I’ve learned to download maps in advance to avoid any issues.

It’s all subjective though. To each their own. For me it’s the preferred method. That’s just my opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it)
I bought my first computer in 1980. No GUI, you entered instruction at a C:\ prompt (google it). If you couldn't find a program to do what you needed, you wrote it yourself in BASIC or Extended BASIC.
A smart phone if FAR easier to use than that was. You actually had to THINK to use it. Smartphones are smarter than most of their owners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my first computer in 1980. No GUI, you entered instruction at a C:\ prompt (google it). If you couldn't find a program to do what you needed, you wrote it yourself in BASIC or Extended BASIC.
A smart phone if FAR easier to use than that was. You actually had to THINK to use it. Smartphones are smarter than most of their owners.
True! My formal background is information security. Lots of code! Though that’s not my career these days. I do recall basic! Quick, who remembers what QDOS stands for?
Quick Dirty Operating System. Very wise purchase by Mr Gates. Probably made his 1st million off of it

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4

·
Registered
412 Posts
True! My formal background is information security. Lots of code! Though that’s not my career these days. I do recall basic! Quick, who remembers what QDOS stands for?
Quick Dirty Operating System. Very wise purchase by Mr Gates. Probably made his 1st million off of it
DOS. Disc Operating System. Bill bought it from IBM for pennies. As usual, the big company saw no profit in it. Bill turned it into one of the most successful companies in history. (Albeit with MANY hickups and screwups along the way.)
One of the scariest phrases in the English language is, "I'm from Microsoft and I'm here to help."
DOS was/is so close to BASIC that switching from C:\ to the command libe USED to be easy. Now, I have to stop and think, or just type "?".

·
Registered
43 Posts
DOS. Disc Operating System. Bill bought it from IBM for pennies. As usual, the big company saw no profit in it. Bill turned it into one of the most successful companies in history. (Albeit with MANY hickups and screwups along the way.)
One of the scariest phrases in the English language is, "I'm from Microsoft and I'm here to help."
DOS was/is so close to BASIC that switching from C:\ to the command libe USED to be easy. Now, I have to stop and think, or just type "?".
Bill didn’t buy QDOS from IBM. He bought it from SCP (it was created by Tim Patterson who later went to work for MS), renamed MS-DOS, licensed it and sold licenses TO IBM to get it installed on every PC they made. And yes it really was “originally” Quick Dirty Operating System. Named such by Patterson himself. I wrote a paper about this in college

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bill didn’t buy QDOS from IBM. He bought it from SCP (it was created by Tim Patterson who later went to work for MS), renamed MS-DOS, licensed it and sold licenses TO IBM to get it installed on every PC they made. And yes it really was “originally” Quick Dirty Operating System. Named such by Patterson himself. I wrote a paper about this in college

RIGHT!! It's been so long that I got it completely backwards. Not the first time, pretty sure it won't be the last time!!
Great trip down the dim halls of the past. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts