Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted my dealer to find out that on top of the $200 map upgrade charge (for 2016, the latest map update will be late September or early October) and $127 in labour. That is beyond ridiculous for a poor quality navigation system. I could buy a new Garmin with incredible functionality for that price.

Is anyone else expressing their concern to Toyota about this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I contacted my dealer to find out that on top of the $200 map upgrade charge (for 2016, the latest map update will be late September or early October) and $127 in labour. That is beyond ridiculous for a poor quality navigation system. I could buy a new Garmin with incredible functionality for that price.

Is anyone else expressing their concern to Toyota about this?
Do you really need map upgrade? Unless you do a lot of long distance traveling, roads don't change that fast. I'm using Google maps offline on my smart phone more frequent now. I just speak to it and don't have to give it exact address. It'll even tell and show me all available services on my route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, maps need updating

Do you really need map upgrade? Unless you do a lot of long distance traveling, roads don't change that fast. I'm using Google maps offline on my smart phone more frequent now. I just speak to it and don't have to give it exact address. It'll even tell and show me all available services on my route.
I have a regular GPS and smartphone. You can easily forego using the Navigation system, at your own expense. But we don't pay for an outdated navigation system. On many occasions, the Toyota navigation system is completely thrown off in my own city. It is essential for maps to be updated to make the system useful but I was going to do it once every few years. Regardless, it should not be the cost of buying a new GPS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The advantage of having onboard navigation is traveling through rural areas that have spotty cell service. I agree that the updates are pricey...wouldn't it be nice to be able to have free updates like Garmin provides for a $200 unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garmin offers free maps for life which are downloaded via USB. My point is to charge $300 an update is unjust. Wish owners who paid for the navi system were told this up front. Wish others would write to Toyota about this. I can't be alone...I understand from a friend that Acura may have signed a deal with Garmin and abandon their system. Toyota should do the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
...after buying our '10... Then replacement '11 Subaru Outback...fully loaded with NAVI...and having 7 years of dealing with it I have sworn to never buy a car with NAVI again! I will by a good external unit...with free map upgrades to anywhere on the planet...and sick it on the dash/windshield whenever I need it. Built in NAVI is way over priced no matter what vehicle brand you buy....live and learn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me, that is a call to action. Too many people just live with it rather than trying to effect change. I have also travelled with a Garmin that overheated and then I relied on the built in navigation. Systems will get smarter but I think Toyota will ultimately partner with better manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts