Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been test driving a 2017 RAV4 limited hybrid and a 2017 RAV4 platinum model.

Have several questions to help me make a decision.

Could the members tell me their real world mpg average in their 2017's.

Also do you believe the ride would be different between the 2 models I have listed. My wife thinks the platinum rides better.

I currently have a 2015 Nissan rouge that averages 28-29 mpg which is okay.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a RAV4 hybrid which got 40-45 mpg (50/50 city/highway). If you do mostly highway driving, like long commutes or road trips, the difference between the two isn't much. City driving is where the hybrid shines. It's very quiet and drives smoothly compared to the gas version. So if you're looking for better ride quality and fuel efficiency, the hybrid is a no brainer. The Platinum just adds a few luxury features. I'm not certain the suspension is any different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I really like the looks of the SE model, 23-25 mpg is a little low for what I would like to achieve, I live in Centralia also, so we would probably be pretty close on mpg based on our location, of course our driving habits could be different.

Dealer is receiving a limited hybrid in a week or two, so I will be looking at that.

Top 2 items I am looking at are mpg and bells and whistles. The limited coming in has everything the platinum has except heated steering wheel and foot activated tailgate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 2016 SE and in first 2000 miles average 25.8 at apx 60/40 city / hiway. Most hiway is 65 or under (an important detail)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here in Canada, Toyota was kind of forced to post more realistic millage. In another post I copy the explanation they give in the Toyota canada magazine that was at the dealer.

I don't remember what the sticker was reporting at the dealer but in the Toyota canada site, they are reporting 6.9/7.8 L/100km or 36/41 mpg for the 2017 limited hybrid

as an example, I have a 2013 RAV4 XLE, it's reported 6.8/9.1 l/100km. I drive mainly in highway at around 100-120 km/h the normal average is usually 9-9.5 l/100km, so 30 to 31 mpg. I have reached, in sections, an average of 6.5-7 or 40-43 mpg; but that's mainly straight line highway going at around 60 km/h, as soon as you go more than that speed, the gas use goes up.

In a hybrid, I don't know exactly how is the gas use/electricity use at different speeds. I need to read more about the new hybrid models.

edited
I used later another conversion website and gave me different number in conversions. so;
6.9/7.8 or 30/34
9/9.5 or 25-26 mpg
6.5/7 or 34-36 mpg
http://calculator-converter.com/l_100km_mpg_convert_mpg_to_l_per_100_km.php

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drive a 2017 RAV4 Limited (not hybrid) and I get an average of about 22-24 mpg. I've driven several RAV4 hybrids and they get about 35-40 mpg realistically. But in the end, it depends on your driving

Reactions: cent628

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here in Canada, Toyota was kind of forced to post more realistic millage. In another post I copy the explanation they give in the Toyota canada magazine that was at the dealer.

I don't remember what the sticker was reporting at the dealer but in the Toyota canada site, they are reporting 6.9/7.8 L/100km or 36/41 mpg for the 2017 limited hybrid

as an example, I have a 2013 RAV4 XLE, it's reported 6.8/9.1 l/100km. I drive mainly in highway at around 100-120 km/h the normal average is usually 9-9.5 l/100km, so 30 to 31 mpg. I have reached, in sections, an average of 6.5-7 or 40-43 mpg; but that's mainly straight line highway going at around 60 km/h, as soon as you go more than that speed, the gas use goes up.

In a hybrid, I don't know exactly how is the gas use/electricity use at different speeds. I need to read more about the new hybrid models.

edited
I used later another conversion website and gave me different number in conversions. so;
6.9/7.8 or 30/34
9/9.5 or 25-26 mpg
6.5/7 or 34-36 mpg
L/100 km to MPG or MPG to L/100 km Fuel / Gas Efficiency / Consumption Conversion Chart / Table (Miles per US gallon to liters per 100 kilometers )
That is a first and good to know. I thought most numbers posted in Canada are exaggerated. I recall being told to look at fueleconomy.gov for more realistic numbers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is a first and good to know. I thought most numbers posted in Canada are exaggerated. I recall being told to look at fueleconomy.gov for more realistic numbers.
Yes, as mentioned they needed to change the number and make them more realistic in Canada as per some directive.I found my post at
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/197626-dissapointing-mpg-highway-city-what-i-can-do

but basically post is this:
If you check the thread "MPG - Please report" and search on that thread "My gas use, mainly highway" you will see my (long and detailed) study on gas millage, well around 100 kph I was doing ca 26 mpg but at 140 kph it drop to 22 mpg.

I went today to the dealer for servicing and while walking around the floor I noticed that the millage posted in the windows of the cars was higher, in the Rav-4 I saw, for what I remember around 28 in highway and I think around 23 mpg in City, like 20 and some % higher than listed before. While waiting I started reading the Club Toyota Spring/summer 2015, and there, they have the explanation for the change, Canada requested more actual road realistic values, not just lab values. they have a brief explanation of the 3 more tests added and explained how the usual ones are done, ( I took the magazine home)basically:

City: set environment to temp 20-30 celsius (letting the car adjust to that temp), distance that rolled: 17.8 km, average speed: 34 km/h 23 stops 5 min iddling
Highway: same temp, distance 16.8 km, average speed: 78 km/h, never more than 97 km/h, no stops

The extra tests included cold weather (-7 Celsius), used of A/C (35 Celsius outside), and high speed and quick acceleration (max 129 km/h)

so of course we'll never see the highway millage they listed, I haven't seen a highway here with 70 km/h as max, usually is 100-110 or as min 80 km/h. So as mentioned, the more the speed the less millage you'll get.

Even when the ones listed now are closer to the real values, the original test are BS, why not to test highway at an average speed 100 km/h (ca 62.5 mph), with peaks of 120 kph (75 mph) it will be more realistic of highways. But probably people won't buy the cars, they are used to pretty numbers

I have seen or myself, in a 15-20 km section of highway, busy, so an steady 60 km/h (96 mph) values of 6 (39 mpg), but you will normally never drive in a highway at 60 km/h, or in a city at that speed steady for a long time to get a really good millage, so I'll say that in highway is 24 to 27 mpg; in the city all depends.

So in general, that webpage posted before, were owners posted their real millage should be a better guide. It list 2013 rav4 at 24, my calculation of 25 is quite close to that, probably I really do between 24-25 mpg.
hybrids are a different story, we will need a few years more to get a good measure of their real values, when more people use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well hopefully we will be making a decision on a RAV4 soon. Limited hybrid supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Will try to go to the dealer on Wednesday. Wife likes the platinum and I like the limited hybrid. Would like to try a se hybrid but none close. I don't see home link garage door opener on the se though.

Thanks for the info on your vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts