Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going out on my 96. Bearing noises, not all the time, so I probably have a little use on it.

I remember hearing years ago that Toyotas, at least the range my year is, are extremely sensitive to voltage ranges put out by the alternator, and many aftermarket brands wreak havoc with the electronics.

Is this the case?

And either way, what are the good brands to go for? I did search the forum, and the only thing I could really find was that Denso seemed to be the best brand out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Aftermarket distys are a real crap-shoot. I’ve even seen one case where the coupler was attached off by 90° for a Camry 5S-FE. It’s so bad, I’d be inclined to get one from a salvage yard, if possible.

If a Denso was available, I’d go with that. But I don’t see them listed on Rockauto, or even on Denso’s website. So I don’t think that’s even an option.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My mechanic replace the electronic in it, and after 1 month it failed again.
it was on warranty so he took an alternator of Suzuki Baleno and install it instead.
it needed another belt, and longer cable but now i've got stronger (110 amp) and modern alternator ,
he told me that it won't hold long cause the wiring is old and the electrical resistance is larger than it should. and the area is too close to the exhaust manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts