Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a bike rack which properly fits the RAV4 ('04)? I picked up one which is designed to go on a spare tire, but because of the way the RAV's spare is recessed into the back door I couldn't use it. Even if I tried to force it it would strain the rear window wiper. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
The Thule Spare Me works GREAT. I used one on my 1996 model for awhile (until I also started towing a camp trailer, then it was in the way). I later switched to a YAKIMA ANKLE BITER. The weight of the bikes on the rear door was NOT a problem.

The Thule Spare Me mounts through the center of the spare wheel, not over the tire. It also has an off-center adjustment to make up for the spare tire not being in the center of the vehicle.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?sku=943&dept_id=8

The YAKIMA rack attaches to the ROOF RACK. It's quite a stretch to get the two bikes on the roof, but for me... this works best.

The Yakima Anklebiter has been discontinued by Yakima, but is still available from some sources -
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8002063.html

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, are there any good interior fork-mount bike racks out there?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kelly

Thanks for the info. It looks like you have the older style of RAV4. Does anyone know if the way the tire mounts is any different between the older and the newer? I don't want the recessed tire in mine to be a problem.

Thanks,

JJ

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
JJ said:
It looks like you have the older style of RAV4. Does anyone know if the way the tire mounts is any different between the older and the newer? I don't want the recessed tire in mine to be a problem.
The "recessed" tire on the 4.2 will NOT be a problem with the Thule Spare Me rack. The rack mounts through the CENTER of the wheel... being recessed is not an issue. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts