Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install a new stereo receiver. But I have some stuff I would like to continue using. My collection of music is quite extensive. The biggest problem of all that they are almost all (98%) are DVD Audio. (24/96). BUT, I checked the leading online stereo sellers and the majority, do not offer DVD receivers for my RAV4. Except one, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS, problem is that it is no longer available. Following the same line as the Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS, can anyone give me any advice and/or guidance. Why DVD? When you have more than 10,000 DVD audio in DSD/DTS with great sound, I have re-recorded, EQ, etc. I would like to run with the stereo loud. My RAV4 Turbo (RAV4orce) is my toy, I retire in May 2022.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get the lower dash trim for a double din radio and get your choice of DVD player radios.

Example of the lower dash trim I am talking about:

Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

As for radio, at that point there are a lot of DVD capable double din radios. No extra wiring is needed as the harness in the dash will reach just fine. Mounting is already there for all versions of the Rav4.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
If only those double din bezels were easy to find, the lower dash trim isn't available in the states and it is difficult to find a supplier. I modified my existing trim that had cup holders in the double din location to hold a head unit, power gauge, and added some power points.

SNIPPED IMAGES FOR SPACE
True, it is a difficult part to find. However mensajero is located in Puerto Rico and may have a better chance than us to find one, it's a stab in the dark honestly.

If I was to install a double din I would just end up cutting the trim to the shape anyway since it's just a hole when you think about it. I believe that is what you did, no? I am quite handy with a dremel tool haha.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
True, it is a difficult part to find. However mensajero is located in Puerto Rico and may have a better chance than us to find one, it's a stab in the dark honestly.

If I was to install a double din I would just end up cutting the trim to the shape anyway since it's just a hole when you think about it. I believe that is what you did, no? I am quite handy with a dremel tool haha.
Yes, it was a lot of dremel tool work to fabricte the bezel. Now that plastic welding is a thing I could have made it look better.

I think from my time living in Peurto Rico that they mostly get stateside legal cars. They are a part of the United States so their vehicles have to pass all the US safety and enviornmental standards.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, it was a lot of dremel tool work to fabricte the bezel. Now that plastic welding is a thing I could have made it look better.

I think from my time living in Peurto Rico that they mostly get stateside legal cars. They are a part of the United States so their vehicles have to pass all the US safety and enviornmental standards.
True however they are closer to Africa and they get more European and Japanese spec there, so it's possible there may be a way to get parts. Just like how it's much easier for me to get Russian and Japanese parts here in Washington than somewhere like New York.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DVDs, and not CDs? If not already, check www.crutchfield.com -- they also have/had good install-kits.

What speakers are you currently using?
Speakers are Infinity Kappa 6.5R/6.0F with Alpine AMP. Sounds great. But I'm not one of those that want the music to vibrate the entire neighborhood. Since I do have a little lack of hearing thanks to the US ARMY. I sometimes like to hear it loud, I want the music to play with great fidelity. Why DVD, I have a collection of more than 10,000 DVD Audio. Some Salsa, Jazz, Rock, Classical and what not.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If only those double din bezels were easy to find, the lower dash trim isn't available in the states and it is difficult to find a supplier. I modified my existing trim that had cup holders in the double din location to hold a head unit, power gauge, and added some power points.

I don't mine doing some modifications to that dash. I
DVDs, and not CDs? If not already, check www.crutchfield.com -- they also have/had good install-kits.

What speakers are you currently using?
I' ve checked Crutchfield and that no longer have the Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS. Which one should I use instead of the Pioneer?

·
Registered
321 Posts
What budget range are you looking for? Does it need to have bluetooth or anything like that? There are some cheaper units that are cheap for a reason but will get the job done. Then there are ones that are actually good quality but obviously more expensive.

You might also want to check things like eBay for older models.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
The Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS is the one I installed and it's really good, still going strong. I don't know your budget but you can search for "double din dvd 7"" units and find many options that are excellent. You may find a refurbished AVH-X5800BHS if you keep an eye out on eBay, Amazon and others.

The below is a short list of available alternate units, there are plenty of others
Power Acoustik CPAA-70D CPAA-70D 7-Inch Double-DIN in-Dash DVD Receiver with Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto
Boss BV775BLC
Kenwood DDX5707S
JVC KW-V660BT

To make installation easier make sure you get the adapter kit.

Just to let you know that a NAV unit that low in the dash could be dangerous, I didn't install the NAV unit in mine.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When you have more than 10,000 DVD audio in DSD/DTS with great sound, I have re-recorded, EQ, etc. I would like to run with the stereo loud.
The DVD's on those receivers play only DVD-Video with DolbyDigital encoded audio. Will not play DVD-Video with DTS or DVD-Audio or DSD (SACD that is).
Now, if you happen to have those in FLAC file formats (I'm not gonna enter into legality discussions), then you will be able to play those trough any media player receiver, no need for actual DVD - all have USB inputs.
I have this receiver in my dash:
JVC KW-M560BT Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield

Music File PlaybackMP3,WMA,AAC,WAV,FLAC
High-res PlaybackFLAC,WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz)

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you guys post pictures, so I can see how you guys installed these audio equipments? I also have some engine gauges that I will have to install. Looks like my dashboard will get crowded. BTW, they all look good, and doable. ($) One limitation, my speakers will also need more power, hens another set of speakers. But with only 6.0/6.5 space, it will be a challenge. Has anyone installed speakers inside the rear door?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The receiver from above link.
Below is an older Moto E indicating Transmission and Engine Coolant temperatures.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, been lurking for a while and decided to join after I recently picked up a 4.1. I'm planning some serious electronics upgrades on my own rig and wanted to offer my two cents.

The way this is going it sounds like more effort than it's worth. I would highly recommend ripping all the DVDs and converting the tracks to flac/mp3/mkv/mp4 formats, because your DVDs are going to degrade over time and with use. I've had CDs start skipping and flaking apart after just a few decades, and with DVDs getting up in age you can be assured that it won't be long before they start noticeably degrading as well. Some people may have concerns about the legality of making copies of your DVDs, but as far as I'm aware if you live in the US you're well within your rights to make backup copies of your optical media so long as you are not distributing said copies.

I used to be a data storage professional and I can tell you the only storage that lasts for generations is vinyl records. All of our electronic storage degrades fairly quickly over time, but I've seen optical media like CDs and DVDs degrade the fastest just from light exposure to the elements, and they're the absolute slowest to copy/backup. Meanwhile flash memory card and hard drive capacities have exploded in recent years, so it's possible to store hundreds or even thousands of DVDs just on a single disk these days.

If you can store your DVD tracks on a hard drive and in an unencrypted format, you can then connect to a modern stereo or smartphone and use that to browse/play the contents. Trying to keep the DVDs running as is will just become more difficult over time, and since they're digital anyway you won't suffer any quality loss from playback on a hard drive.

Pricing-wise you could spend $300 on a nice 2TB external SSD and $15 for whatever USB adapters you need, or spend the same or more on head unit upgrades that will be for naught once the DVDs start showing their age. Ripping your DVDs will take longer than messing with your head unit in the short term, but pays off in the long term because then you can easily copy them to new storage medium when the drive starts to wear out.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I would highly recommend ripping all the DVDs and converting the tracks to flac/mp3/mkv/mp4 formats, because your DVDs are going to degrade over time and with use.
That's easier said than done. He spoke of DVD-Audio and SACD. Those are difficult to... extract, because of the copyright mechanisms. Besides legality of such an operation, there are other obstacles for example SACD requires specific players.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts