Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having trouble selling my 2011 RAV4. I have it priced at $11,800 which seems to be lower than all of the other ads for similar year and miles in my area (Spring Hill, FL). (It has 66,000 miles, very clean and well maintained.) Does that price seem about right to you?

I have it listed on Auto Trader and Craigslist but have not had one showing so far. Do you have any suggestions of other places I could list it or other ways to sell it? It's in great condition.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I might be wrong, but your query might belong under the for sale topic.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Since you live in Florida, I will assume it's the 2WD model? You probably don't want to hear this, but if it were a 4WD OR had the V6 engine, you wouldn't have any problems selling it.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
One trick I use on CL is to remove the listing during the week and repost it on weekends. That way when someone new finds it they won't see that it was listed 3 weeks ago or however long you've been trying to sell it and wonder what's wrong with it that it hasn't sold. It looks fresh and gets more action. Would probably work on AT too.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since you apparently didn't complete your profile we don't know enough about your RAV to be able to provide a more helpful answer. Model? Engine? Even color? Any add-ons/options?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Does it have anything like Weathertech floor liners, trailer hitch, remote start, alarm, JBL stereo, body side moldings, mud flaps?

If it's a base model, does it have the Upgrade Value Package (aluminum wheels, sunroof, 6-disc changer, daytime running lights, etc.?)

Are the tires relatively new?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe she found KBB.com and answers to her questions.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
The OP isn't actually listing it for sale here which would require pictures, etc, just asking for advice.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Need advice selling my RAV4

There's some good advice below, including from Dr. Dyno, namely to take the ad down for a few days and repost on the weekend. Since the Fourth of July is around the corner, I'd take it down, even if only for a day, then repost with an updated title, rewritten copy, and photos.

IMO, it's always preferable to understate than to exaggerate, but there are key phrases that can be helpful if they're accurate in your case, such as "low mileage" (12K/year is the national average), "always properly maintained", "no accidents or body work" (if true). When I sell my RAV4, it will include the phrase "last of the V6's". You may, optionally, give a reason for selling, such as "bought a new Lexus" or "downsizing to a Miata".

Third, post some good photos. Are there any features to show off (e.g. new, upgraded tires, after-market leather)? Are there any flaws, such as scratches or small dents? (You get points, IMO, for full disclosure.) Even if not, make sure photos are in focus and try to show both interior and exterior colors accurately.

Fourth, if you're using Craigslist, be sure to check the appropriate boxes for size, condition, number of cylinders, title status. You'd be surprised at the number of people who think they have rear-wheel drive on a FWD car or truck. If you're not, let's say, a retired English teacher, have somebody review your ad for typos and grammatical errors.

Finally, in my experience, you can determine a realistic selling price by averaging the Edmunds.com and KBB.com prices for your car. Always ask a little bit more than you expect, and leave room for the buyer to haggle a little bit... and don't scare potential buyers away with phrases like "no low-ballers". You can always turn down low offers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts