Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need Alternator 2007 V6 Installation Help -2 broken wires where do they go

I have a 2007 V6 Rav4 and am replacing the alternator as it tested bad and earlier the car conked out on me while driving. I have the alternator now removed which took some time. However, I have 2 broken or maybe just disconnected wires.

There is a metal L shaped bracket that installs to the back side of the alternator (rear, right side). The L shaped bracket has a thin wiring harness connected to it that unfortunately as I was removing it, the wiring harness that was held by that back L shaped bracket broke at the other end. There are only 2 wires (red and green) inside of a brown sheathing (outer cover). You'll see in the pictures the 2 wires that I don't know exactly where to reconnect them.

I know as I was trying to remove the connector from the alternator, the 2 wires were extended and tight so I kind of saw where they were coming from and it looked like somewhere to the top of the a/c compressor (to the left of the L bracket). There is some type of existing connector at the top of the a/c compressor, but I don't see where these 2 wires would go there.

If you look at the pictures you'll see the main harness with the 2 wires (red and green), further down on it you will see the plastic connector that does into the L shaped bracket on the alternator. Also, if you look at the tip of the 2 wires (silver area), it looks like as if I just stripped 2 wires as you notice the ends are straight and not bent and kept pretty clean where they were pulled from (almost 9 years old). Just an observation.

This was for me a tough job yet saved me much needed money and 2 very thin wires are now halting me :smile until I can see how to fix it. Anyone have any thoughts on where the wires go?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wires go to crankshaft position sensor? How to wire green vs red positioning?

If anyone is familiar with the crankshaft position sensor, I believe the red and green wires go to this sensor. The proximity is right and I am not sure though how will I know which side to put the green vs red wire. Anyone know? I have attached the picture. I'd hate to put the whole system back together and have it not wired correctly. If you know let me know by the picture description which way it goes and how you knew to draw that conclusion.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a multi-meter to check the sensor?

I am thinking maybe I use a multi-meter to check the sensor? I haven't used multi-meters often, but thinking if it's positive voltage registering, that's the positive side. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Took a look at mine today but with the alternator installed it's impossible to see where it goes.
Have you tried to start the car?
If it's an important sensor it either won't run or won't run good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't assembled it yet - Trying to find the destination of these 2 wires

Thanks for looking into your car to try and see if you can see where it leads. Given the amount of work it takes to assemble the pieces back together, i.e. the radiator, refill coolant, etc.., I didn't want to put it back together without identifying where the 2 wires go. The 2 wires were very clean and very straight at the tips so it tells me it was yanked probably from a connector of some sort and not just a wire ripped in half somewhere. Just theorizing.

I actually haven't found a visual of the crankshaft position sensor in my RAV4 to see if that's the culprit. With the alternator removed (on the V6), the A/C compressor is below the alternator and now visible to me. On the Toyota diagrams, I can easily see conceptually where the crankshaft position sensor is located, but can't see it in my engine from looking underneath or from the top so I wonder if it's something I have to remove or loosen the A/Compressor to see it or get to it, or if it's out of site yet still accessible.

It was a great feeling to have everything out and ready for installation and 2 wires are holding me back. Now these wires branch off of a main wiring harness which itself has multiple branches and also connected to the alternator so don't want to risk what would happen if I did leave them disconnected. Thanks again for your post, any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm just gonna post it here to help anyone that wants to upgrade their alternator 120A to a 140A for towing. I've attached a couple of pictures to show you how the fuse box comes apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bluskie99, the picture will be helpful as I can see the sensor back there and the reference points to the surrounding pieces will help me guide myself to the sensor. Thanks!! I also saw your post for upgrading the alternator for towing, really good visuals!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was great timing as my alternator just came in today and I haven't put anything together yet. It was easy to trace when everything is completely torn apart. I feel your pain. All this work for an alternator.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What's the part number in that 140a fuse?
I changed my alternator to the 150a version but never changed the fuse from the 120a version. Now i need to oirder the 140a fuse and can;t find the part number

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tore the wires too

I accidentally tore the wire right out of the clip that attaches to the Crank shaft sensor that's located on the engine behind the a/c compressor. To repair, remove 4 bolts, roll compressor out of the way, (take frame support bracket off underside of car to reach everything, also remove front grill, remove front radiator frame support bolts and push radiator and a/c condenser forward 5-6", no need to disconnect any hoses, no need to drain anything). I couldn't tell which way wires went back on as ripped right out of clips. I took clips apart, re-clipped wire, buttoned back up, car wouldn't start. Rather then taking all apart again to reach crank shaft sensor, I cut the wires where they come out from behind alternator and switched the wires there, taped up, car started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to remove the alternator without ripping those wires. I did it by unbolting the alternator ear from the lower bracket. The bracket stayed in place bolted to the block. So the wires were never stressed or compromised, the alternator came right out. After removing the alternator, I removed and discarded the lower bracket, it is not needed, the alternator is secure with the other two mounting bolts. Here's a video with some tips on the removal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts