Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a rear facing dashcam mounted on my boot lid, I've run the wire into the panel where you can change the number plate lights but I can't figure out which of those many wires would be an ignition live.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are going to want to proceed with caution here. Tapping into an existing circuit that may be controlled by a body control module (computer) is not a good idea. You need to know what current your camera accessory draws and determine a source of power for it. The cars rear camera is mounted in the rear hatch "boot" lid and is likely supplied with power on voltage, but I am guessing. I personally, being a retired mechanic would run a properly fused dedicated ignition on circuit from the cars fuse block. Anything else is risky and may cause damage to something else.
Having a professional do this job may be a very good idea.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I also would run a seperate wire all the way to the front of the vehicle and tap in at a fusebox.

As millsrv said, you could open up a can of worms by tapping into the wrong wire. If you don't know what you are doing, best to leave it to someone who does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah your probably right. Was just trying to be lazy I suppose. I've got the front camera straight into the fusebox so I'll have to tap the 2 together.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hey guys, got a rear facing dashcam mounted on my boot lid, I've run the wire into the panel where you can change the number plate lights but I can't figure out which of those many wires would be an ignition live.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks ;)
Is an "ignition live" the same thing as an "acc" possition on a key start?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts