Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 RAV4 awd 4dr I have searched and read all the postings my first step is a cold air intake and then a jet brand chip and new exhaut. I will be ordering the OME suspension left this morning when they open. (west coast) Rocky Road outfitters seems to have the best price unless anyone know of a less expensie vendor.

Anyway there are intakes on ebay which look like they draw warm engine heat which defeats the purpose. So what would be the next most economical set up or should I say best bang for thebuck. Some of the set ups have a cheap $15. parts store air filter.

Thanks for helping with an old re-hash.

Scott

Excited new owner or a minty 97!

·
Registered
880 Posts
scott said:
97 RAV4 awd 4dr I have searched and read all the postings my first step is a cold air intake and then a jet brand chip and new exhaut. I will be ordering the OME suspension left this morning when they open. (west coast) Rocky Road outfitters seems to have the best price unless anyone know of a less expensie vendor.

Anyway there are intakes on ebay which look like they draw warm engine heat which defeats the purpose. So what would be the next most economical set up or should I say best bang for thebuck. Some of the set ups have a cheap $15. parts store air filter.

Thanks for helping with an old re-hash.

Scott

Excited new owner or a minty 97!
2" flexible hose, 2" electrical conduit male and female couplers, silicone caulking. Drill a 2" hole in your airbox and that's about it. I did this to mine when I noticed that with the airbox clips open, the suction at WOT would pull the lid down, so obviously the stock air passage isn't big enough. You can put the hose out through your bumper if you want to create a ram-air effect, I just put mine pointing down into the void behind the splash guard. Oh and start with a K&N filter.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the risk of resurrecting a post, this has almost answered my CAI questions, but, in the interest of balance, do I have to get a larger exhaust to cope with the increased air input? This is going to be a real easy answer - and I'm going to feel stupid for at least 5 seconds............ :roll:

·
Registered
302 Posts
if you are thinking of changing your exhaust to a 2" or 2.25" pipe and straight thru design from CAT to muffler and the answer is definitely a YES....

this would complement the mass amount of air going in...so you will need a bigger outlet thus increasing the diameter of your pipe....

but then again, you will still be restricted at the manifold which you need to change to an aftermarket header........

power is addicting isn't? :twisted:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts