Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I was wondering if you all can help me out. I'm trying to get a Rav4.3 AWD v6.
I spoke to a couple of dealerships and pretty much narrowed it down to 3.

First one for 20k out the door, it has 47k Miles on it and is a "Toyota Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle", Red 2012 LTD. It's roughly 2 - 3 hours from me so I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet.

Second one for 18k out the door, it has 59k Miles on it, Red 2012 LTD with Nav. It looked pretty clean, and I was pretty happy when I test drove it. (The dealer person was kind of an ass though so I didn't purchase that day and decided to regroup)

Third one for roughly 16.5k out the door, it has 56k Miles on it and is a "Dealer Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle", Silver 2012 Base (I hate silver but I'll be fine with this). Also roughly 2 - 3 miles from me so haven't had a chance to test drive yet. This car comes with their dealer warranty of: 2year/100,000Miles Power Train Coverage. Covers: Engine, Trans, Front/Rear Drive Components, 4x4 System, and Transfer Case *Deductible will apply*.

Is Toyota's CPO worth the extra $ for peace of mind?

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd go with the 2012 with 56k. You save money, the dealers closer and that mileage is nothing! We just bought a 2006 sport v6 with 59k miles on it. I wish we had been able to get the red, it's so Nice! But we got a fabulous deal and finding a low mileage rav is tough around here, so silver it was. NO REGRETS!
Good luck! But move fast!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whoops! I meant the red with 59k. If you're wanting a warranty, make sure to get one that covers most everything, aside from wear and tear items... the powertrain isn't really what you have to worry about. It's the computer components.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
If you're wanting a warranty, make sure to get one that covers most everything, aside from wear and tear items... the powertrain isn't really what you have to worry about. It's the computer components.
We got our 2011 V6 LTD with 72K miles about a month ago and we went with 30mo/30K miles Platinum warranty, with good reason. During the test drive, the vehicle was whisper quiet but about a week ago the lady complained about a whining noise coming from under/behind the car. It turns out there is a TSB out for this transaxle whine noise for all 2006-2012 RAV4's. It was fortunate that we got the extended warranty that covers the powertrain too because the whole transaxle assembly needs to be swapped now and we haven't even made the 1st payment on the car yet. My point is, test drive the car and listen for any and all unusual noise coming from transmission or the rear differential, there are TSB's for both of these that require new components, the higher the mileage the more of a chance of this becoming an issue. Along with platinum warranty we also went with unlimited undercoating/sound deadening since we live in the rust belt and after about 5 years the factory undercoating becomes useless. Take your time and do your research if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops! I meant the red with 59k. If you're wanting a warranty, make sure to get one that covers most everything, aside from wear and tear items... the powertrain isn't really what you have to worry about. It's the computer components.
Thanks! I might go with a different one. I found a 2010 black ltd v6 with 73k miles with Lifetime Power-train Warranty "It covers the engine, transmission, trans-axle, transfer case, drive axle, seals and gaskets.".

We got our 2011 V6 LTD with 72K miles about a month ago and we went with 30mo/30K miles Platinum warranty, with good reason. During the test drive, the vehicle was whisper quiet but about a week ago the lady complained about a whining noise coming from under/behind the car. It turns out there is a TSB out for this transaxle whine noise for all 2006-2012 RAV4's. It was fortunate that we got the extended warranty that covers the powertrain too because the whole transaxle assembly needs to be swapped now and we haven't even made the 1st payment on the car yet. My point is, test drive the car and listen for any and all unusual noise coming from transmission or the rear differential, there are TSB's for both of these that require new components, the higher the mileage the more of a chance of this becoming an issue. Along with platinum warranty we also went with unlimited undercoating/sound deadening since we live in the rust belt and after about 5 years the factory undercoating becomes useless. Take your time and do your research if you can.
Thanks! I'm trying to get a 2010 v6 ltd, that has a power-train warranty. I'm hoping I don't encounter any issues. Is it okay if I ask how much you got yours?

Cheers,

·
Registered
419 Posts
2 Years ago - We bought our 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 privately (Doctors car) and it included 1 year extended warranty. Surgeon had it certified at Toyota Dealership and all it needed was front brake pads @ his expense / plus e-Test included.
- vehicle had 89,xxx Km = 55K miles
In first year, I did replace the original battery / never did use the warranty, that eventually expired.

In 2 years time, we added +50,000 trouble-free Km (now at 141,000 Km = 89,000 miles).
- still seems like a new vehicle
Its been the most rewarding family vehicle, we have ever owned...and HP is insanely nice.
- 4x4 and winter tires, makes it a tank, in winters
Beside 1 set of Fireestone tires (Le2's), a rear break job (rotors & pads) and synthetic oil changes (10,000 Km Frequency) / All normal stuff, except for a rear suspension link (a $90 part & half hour labor to install).

I wouldn't pay a big premium, for extra low miles. The v6 practically live-on forever.
- In Northern climates / wax-oil spray undercoating (to combat road salt), is a wise investment

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If it's had the TSB completed for the transmission whine already completed I would not worry about getting it CPO. But if it hasn't I would go for the CPO.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thanks! I'm trying to get a 2010 v6 ltd, that has a power-train warranty. I'm hoping I don't encounter any issues. Is it okay if I ask how much you got yours?
We paid $16.4K for vehicle and platinum warranty + unlimited undercoating & interior protection added close to another $2K to the bill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if the TSB on this vehicle's trans has been done already. But here's the carfax for it which to me looks okay https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=2T3DK4DV3AW021253

:laugh* I'm no expert tho, so any information would be much appreciated.

The car is being sold at a Toyota dealership for $14,999 I can get it OTD for around 15,800. It comes with their Limited power train warranty which from what I was told is :"You can use it at any dealership as long as its a certified mechanic with a $100 deductible."

I'm hoping that I don't encounter any issues with it. It looks like a good car, but I'm 4 hrs away so I can't just casually go over there any test drive.

Any tips on what I need to look at to lessen the chance of getting a lemon?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if the TSB on this vehicle's trans has been done already. But here's the carfax for it which to me looks okay carfaxDOTcom/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=2T3DK4DV3AW021253 *My post are so low that I'm not allowed to share URL's yet :laugh* I'm no expert tho, so any information would be much appreciated.

The car is being sold at a Toyota dealership for $14,999 I can get it OTD for around 15,800. It comes with their Limited power train warranty which from what I was told is :"You can use it at any dealership as long as its a certified mechanic with a $100 deductible."

I'm hoping that I don't encounter any issues with it. It looks like a good car, but I'm 4 hrs away so I can't just casually go over there any test drive.

Any tips on what I need to look at to lessen the chance of getting a lemon?

Cheers,

Go to toyotaowners.com and add the vehicle under your profile then look at the vehicle's service history again which will should now include any TSB's the vehicle was serviced for. Other than that the Carfax report looks clean, it's a huge plus that it was taken to the dealership for service regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to toyotaowners.com and add the vehicle under your profile then look at the vehicle's service history again which will should now include any TSB's the vehicle was serviced for. Other than that the Carfax report looks clean, it's a huge plus that it was taken to the dealership for service regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I added the vehicle to my toyotaowners.com account and didn't see anything about safety recalls "No safety recalls reported" or I just don't know where to look... I did see some info regarding window switch, seat belts, wiper motor.

Is there anything specific that I should look for when test driving the vehicle, I know I'm supposed to check the under/rear the car for whining noises?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thanks! I added the vehicle to my toyotaowners.com account and didn't see anything about safety recalls "No safety recalls reported" or I just don't know where to look... I did see some info regarding window switch, seat belts, wiper motor.

Is there anything specific that I should look for when test driving the vehicle, I know I'm supposed to check the under/rear the car for whining noises?

Cheers,
This is the screen I see when I log in, look at the very bottom where it says View Your Service History. It will have several items when you click then you can download or view Full Service History:

As for the test drive, like I mentioned, listen for anything that doesn't sound right when it comes to transmission or rear differential. The whine noise the TSB's mention for both trans and diff sound similar but you can tell them apart by taking your foot off the gas pedal when you're driving at around 40mph, if the noise goes away but comes back when you depress the gas pedal then it's the transmission whine, if the noise is still there it's the rear diff. Also check for any leaks below the vehicle and also check the engine oil and transmission fluid condition. Same with coolant and brake fluid. I think power steering is electric so there won't be a reservoir for it. Test everything and ask lots of questions. Look at tire tread condition and wheels. While driving check to see if you notice any shimmying or vibration in pedals/steering which might indicate vehicle needing alignment or wheel(s) might be out of round... Check for any codes using a code scanner if you have one, by plugging it into the OBD2 port below the steering wheel. Sometimes shady dealers like to clear the codes so there are no warning lights in dash but after driving around for a while it might light up, when it's too late for you. If you have a scanner you can see the pending codes which were cleared previously. Just a few things I would look for, I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Cheers,
That info you saw regarding window switch etc., certainly does involve recalls. Do what DK327 suggests and go further into the website. If the vehicle was ever taken to a Toyota dealer for service, it'll be in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! I searched again last night and didn't see anything regarding transmission or the rear diff. I'm driving up to the dealership in a little bit and hope there's no issues.. It's almost a 4 hr drive for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The whine noise is just that... a noise, there's really nothing going bad, I mean mine has it still, yet the dealer says that all the TSB's have been done, so I'm thinking of complaining and saying it's back to see what they would do about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! I got the car last night. It was a long haul... 8hrs round trip... Dealer "they asked the head mechanic" said that if ever it happens to the car their power train warranty will cover it "as long as I have it serviced by a certified mechanic" so I guess I will be going to the stealership to have my car services to satisfy their requirements for me to keep my lifetime power train warranty. The good thing is I can go to any certified shop for the warranty repair.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thanks guys! I got the car last night. It was a long haul... 8hrs round trip... Dealer "they asked the head mechanic" said that if ever it happens to the car their power train warranty will cover it "as long as I have it serviced by a certified mechanic" so I guess I will be going to the stealership to have my car services to satisfy their requirements for me to keep my lifetime power train warranty. The good thing is I can go to any certified shop for the warranty repair.

Cheers!
Good luck and many happy miles!!:thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Congratz! Hope your vehicle serves you well, so long as you keep it happy with periodic maintenance! Luckily this forum contains pretty much all the info you need to perform these procedures yourself (or take it to the dealership so it's recorded in Vehicle Service History.) This might help immensely when you decide to sell the vehicle later, showing the buyer how the vehicle was serviced at the dealership regularly... Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck and many happy miles!!:thumbs_up:
Congratz! Hope your vehicle serves you well, so long as you keep it happy with periodic maintenance! Luckily this forum contains pretty much all the info you need to perform these procedures yourself (or take it to the dealership so it's recorded in Vehicle Service History.) This might help immensely when you decide to sell the vehicle later, showing the buyer how the vehicle was serviced at the dealership regularly... Have fun!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just as a reminder, you can add your own maintenance items in the Toyota Owners database, not just what they do.
Of course as a future buyer you would have to use your "spidey sense" on owner-added items. Know what I mean?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts