Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for a RAV4 and after seeing preliminary photos of the 2006 model, I'm now more interested in the 2005 for it's fun, sexy and sleek design! However, one thing is a MAJOR concern to me.......

ROAD NOISE

About 70% of my driving is highway and I've heard more than a few times that the RAV4 can be LOUD. What are your (honest) thoughts about this? I drive a minivan right now so maybe your loud and mine are different anyway?!!!

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I dont find road roise to be an issue at all. I dont talk on a cell, and usually have music on so road noise has honestly never been something that Ive given a second thought to (which probably means its not too noisy.)

With the roof open it is noisy - of course - but otherwise it wouldnt not be a make or break issue for me.

It is much quieter than my pick up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive manual, so there is a 'bit' of noise which is mostly done on purpose.... :D Honestly though, its nothing to worry over.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have an 05 S FWD 5-spd. w/o sunroof. No noise with mine. It is rather quiet.

With the rear windows down they is some annoying wind vibration at highway speed that is about as loud as wifey's RX300.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My '04 4wd 5 speed is quieter than my 4.1, but not luxury car quiet. What road and engine noise there is, I like. My husband's '02 4Runner is so quiet it's like a mausoleum on wheels...I actually find that a bit annoying. Really though, I don't find the Rav particularly loud at all, and it's very fun to drive.

Becky

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do some motorway driving (75mph) & don`t find it an issue. I have just sold my Lexus RX300 & that was quite compared to any car, but I`m back to a RAV4. I`m also in the process of sound deadening just finished the rear door, there is no noticibly difference yet but every little helps.
Also you could consider your tyres now these can make a big difference to road noise. Try doing a search on tyres I`ve seen some info some where.
Rav`s are just great! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RAV4Don said:
With the rear windows down they is some annoying wind vibration at highway speed that is about as loud as wifey's RX300.
I noticed this vibration with cross winds too. It’s sometimes downright painful in the ears, isn’t it? I now have some window vent screens in the back windows for my dogs, these hold the windows in place fixing the problem nicely. If anyone with pets is interested in a link to these I’ll be happy to share.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
goldensnitch said:
RAV4Don said:
I noticed this vibration with cross winds too. It’s sometimes downright painful in the ears, isn’t it?
It's pure torture in wifeys' RX300 and bad, but reasonably tolerable, in the RAV.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a Rav4L and I don't find any noise problem at all when I'm driving on the highway. I mean, this is a SUV we're talking about here. It's not going to be as quiet as a luxury sedan!

·
Registered
685 Posts
GEEZ!!!.....I've resisted replying to this post for days, but I can't stand it any longer...... :roll:

Before you buy, get the dealer to take off the Toyo Transpaths and throw them in the dumpster........and have him put on Bridgestones, Michelins or some other quality tire......

My Transpaths have less than 20,000 kms on them and they howl so bad at 70 - 80 kms/hr that it sounds like a wheel bearing on it's absolute last.......and other posts on here confirm it isn't only mine. It's so-o-o bad, it has my wife really concerned......

On my '98 Rav, I had Bridgestone Duellers, and later Michelin LTXs, and both of these had a little tire noise but nothing like this.....
BTW....the Michelins wore really well but did have stiff side walls, but then again they are light truck tires......

Can't wait to put M/Ss on for quieter cruising...... :wink:

........my rant is over.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bluenoser said:
GEEZ!!!.....I've resisted replying to this post for days, but I can't stand it any longer...... :roll: (snip)
Why the delay? You never know when your input could actually help someone. Not everybody knows these things.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have my 2003 rav4 with dunlope tire.....no probs with that noisy thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts