Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Need help identifying available receptacle and proper charging station to get

1535 63
I have a 240v receptacle at work right next to where I park my new RAV4Prime XSE
It was for a commercial air compressor so has a configuration I have never seen (see attached) I own the business and can do mods if necessary
I would like to use it for level 2 charging (4.5hrs) while I am at work.
I don’t know much about electric configurations just that I think this would be convenient if I could make it work.
Thanks in advance!
Camera lens Cameras & optics Gas Digital camera Film camera
Camera lens Cameras & optics Gas Digital camera Film camera
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i know a bit about this stuff and ya got me confused lol . oh well if you have an overhead feed ya should be able to see how many wires are feeding the building . is it three or four ?
I probably said it wrong, dont sweat it. I appreciate the help. It used to be a machine shop and has crazy power coming in. I think 400 Amp service but it could be more or less...There are at lease 5 different panels where the power is distributed throughout the building for various purposes. ...Some are standard 120v (for most everything), some are 220v for various machines that used to be here as well as air conditioning/heat pump compressors, and there are these 3-Phase outlets in random places (like the one I want to use) which I guess used to power big industrial compressors, arc-welders...stuff like that. Its confusing for everyone here including electricians so dont feel bad :)

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
281 Posts
I think sticking with slow charging is your best short term bet.

But I think Clipper Creek is correct. You could re-purpose one of the three hot wires to Neutral, and wire up a 240 (well actually 208, but close enough).

There are even code rules how to do that. You use white electrical tape to "change the color" of the ends of the re-purposed wire.

However, Charlie probably has plenty of business these days and just does not want to venture out his comfort zone. Which I kind of understand as I get close to 60 as well.

BTW, 3 phase power is much more economical for a number of industrial applications. Down the road, should you sell or rent your space out, you may find that your discovery today nets you a couple thousand in a one time deal, or $100 more per month on a lease. Its good stuff, but probably less DYI friendly as even guys like me that are quite versed in 2 phase get really nervous around 3 phase.

·
Registered
584 Posts
if i were there with a screwdriver gauge and tester i could answer all your questions . however not knowing what system you have , the voltage and the size of those wires im not sure if i can be of any assistance .
Same. I found this thread very intriguing and looked up three phase wiring. Learning about three phase delta vs wye, pros and cons of each. I’m finding my personal whole home surge protector install project less intimidating in comparison, lol!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same. I found this thread very intriguing and looked up three phase wiring. Learning about three phase delta vs wye, pros and cons of each. I’m finding my personal whole home surge protector install project less intimidating in comparison, lol!
lmao ya i hear ya but believe it or not as opposed to diagrams and schematics when its hard wired in front of you its not that bad at all .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
if i were there with a screwdriver gauge and tester i could answer all your questions . however not knowing what system you have , the voltage and the size of those wires im not sure if i can be of any assistance .
That is very kind of you. I wish you were here, it would be a fun project.
well, if it gets cold where you are and you feel inclined, come to sunny Santa Barbara, CA and bring your screwdriver! I’ll treat you to some of the best Mexican food you have ever tasted! 😃

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe Charlie can make you an adapter that will plug in to the socket you have using a 6-12 inch cable with the right socket for your power supply on the other end. Not sure about weatherproofing but you could certainly tape the adapter to your power supply cord.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Maybe Charlie can make you an adapter that will plug in to the socket you have using a 6-12 inch cable with the right socket for your power supply on the other end. Not sure about weatherproofing but you could certainly tape the adapter to your power supply cord.
Thanks, At the start of all this, I thought so too. But I think there is more to it than that. Something to do with the type of power and its method of delivery and even its cycles or something. I get the feeling after talking to experts that if I did that it would cause a 'splosion or something expensive would break or get fried...Since the car cost more than my 1st house...I am thinking risk/reward not good enough... Others here are far more knowledgeable as to why that would not work. I wish it did, it would have saved me a 12pack of WhiteClaw 😂

·
Registered
584 Posts
AC WORKS Electric Vehicle Charging Adapter for Tesla Use (L15-30 30A 250V 3-Phase to Tesla) https://a.co/d/6GL5I56

AC WORKS® [EVL1530MS-018] 1.5FT EV Adapter 3-Phase 30A 250V L15-30P Locking Plug to 50A EV Connector (direct manufacturer link)

It looks like an adapter is made for this application; however, I’m having a hard time finding reviews on Amazon specific to this particular adapter. Most of the reviews appear to be the RV to EV charger, not the L-15-30 three phase. Home Depot has a link for this product but they don’t sell it anymore. Lowes has it in stock for delivery. No reviews at Home Depot or Lowes : (

I don’t like how it’s advertised as a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter in the name of the item. The input can only handle 30 amps, the sticker says to set your vehicle to charge no higher than 24 amps. Therefore, it’s a 30 amp adapter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
AC WORKS Electric Vehicle Charging Adapter for Tesla Use (L15-30 30A 250V 3-Phase to Tesla) https://a.co/d/6GL5I56

AC WORKS® [EVL1530MS-018] 1.5FT EV Adapter 3-Phase 30A 250V L15-30P Locking Plug to 50A EV Connector (direct manufacturer link)

It looks like an adapter is made for this application; however, I’m having a hard time finding reviews on Amazon specific to this particular adapter. Most of the reviews appear to be the RV to EV charger, not the L-15-30 three phase. Home Depot has a link for this product but they don’t sell it anymore. Lowes has it in stock for delivery. No reviews at Home Depot or Lowes : (

I don’t like how it’s advertised as a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter in the name of the item. The input can only handle 30 amps, the sticker says to set your vehicle to charge no higher than 24 amps. Therefore, it’s a 30 amp adapter.
Wow..well I'll be damned...:) .that looks promising. Goes to 14-50 (says "to TESLA" but that looks like standard 14-50 ) and I know there are EVSE's that use 14-50....but what about the power? Doesn't it need to be single phase at plug-in of EVSE like the ClipperCreek or Lectron? I am intrigued but scared! ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wow..well I'll be damned...:) .that looks promising. Goes to 14-50 (says "to TESLA" but that looks like standard 14-50 ) and I know there are EVSE's that use 14-50....but what about the power? Doesn't it need to be single phase at plug-in of EVSE like the ClipperCreek or Lectron? I am intrigued but scared! ;)
That’s the million dollar question right? Maybe a call or email to AC Works is in order. I have no idea what that adapter is doing internally to make the magic happen.

·
Registered
209 Posts
all three phase systems are not the same . two different types . each type comes in different voltages . until you find out the type of system and voltage you way not want to pay for what may just be an expensive pile of flames .

·
Registered
584 Posts
all three phase systems are not the same . two different types . each type comes in different voltages . until you find out the type of system and voltage you way not want to pay for what may just be an expensive pile of flames .
Very true. I’m seeing with the delta three phase that one of the wires (legs) to ground (or neutral, who knows for sure right now) is higher voltage than the other two. Delta-wye has the same voltage to neutral for all wires. More complex than that but that’s a big unknown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That’s the million dollar question right? Maybe a call or email to AC Works is in order. I have no idea what that adapter is doing internally to make the magic happen.
I feel like I am in front of 3 doctors at the hospital:
Doctor #1 says I’m going to die and there is nothing he can do
Doctor #2 says I need an operation but it will cost me an arm and a leg
Doctor #3 says I’m fine why are you even here?
Doctor #4 says I just need a minor adjustment

😃🤪😳

·
Registered
584 Posts

😃🤪😳
A fantastic analogy for engineering as well. I’m sure my colleagues think of of my discipline (quality) as doctor 1, systems engineers seem to be doctor 2, project engineering is doctor 3 trying to get us over the finish line, and doctor 4 are the electrical or mechanical engineers saying it’s fine, we can just tweak that 😂

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
281 Posts

😃🤪😳
So which doctor is just a voice in your head?:) Might definitely not want to listen to that one! (3 vs 4)

I really like RuthRj post as well. I guess all professions deal with the art of obfuscation.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So which doctor is just a voice in your head?:) Might definitely not want to listen to that one! (3 vs 4)

I really like RuthRj post as well. I guess all professions deal with the art of obfuscation.....
Which doctor is just a voice in my head? All of them, of course! The one that says "why are you doing this the one that came with your new car is just fine and you should spend any extra money you have on more important things in life like me" that one is not in my head, her name is Valerie, and we've been married for quite some time now! ;)

Never give up, Never surrender!!...I have called in a 5th Doctor, an earnest young genZ/Millenial guy who builds bicycle frames for a living, and sells them for like $5K or some nonsense like that (like thats really a thing right??...He also says he knows electronics and is willing to take chances with other people’s money and property! He has the skinny jeans, the beard and tattoos and everything 😂 He is the opposite of my man, Charlie...He even wears flannel but I dont think he has ever been camping or has even seen a forest...

Anyway, I like him, and he says he can wire it up no problem as long as the wires in the 3-Phase are thick enough to handle 120v each. He seems reasonably confident that it won't kill me or destroy my $50K new car...probably 85% sure at any rate!

So I may yet get my dream of bragging to people I dont know that I have a Level 2 charging station at my office! Huzzah! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
lol oh good lord . the insulation on the wires would need to be thick enough to handle 120 v if you can even get 120 v . the wire would need to be thick enough to handle the current or amps .

anyway sounds good as at least he is curious about the wire size and probably has a good metre so he can check the voltages across all lines . that would tell ya a lot .

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
624 Posts
As a former tenant he probably knows the building as well or better than OP/owner. My guess is the single phase panel is right next to the 3 phase. Pull a couple of wires through conduit between panels, slap in a breaker that isnt oversize for the wire and put the right plug in. Done. Small biz mfg folks are scrappy. Especially bike builders. Its a subculture. I don’t think this one is a complicated job.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts