Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
As a former tenant he probably knows the building as well or better than OP/owner.”
Chuckles70, just curious, how did you know he was a former tenant? 🤔😳 Are you a bike builder subculture guy and know him? I wouldn’t doubt it it is a very small tight knit community!
You are right about everything there, those bike building guys are scrappy!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE; former 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XLE
42 Posts
OK, Charlie the electrician came over says that my chosen receptacle is 3-Phase power and apparently that is not an easy thing to change. (It IS 4-wires 3-Hot + 1-Gr , no neutral...for what its worth...I am told that is what they call "Old-School Three Phase") He gave me a few options:
1. Find a 3-Phase EVSE and Bob's your uncle! (unknown cost)
2. There is an existing 240v 1-Phase outlet we found in the building and run from there 1 new wire added to the existing (no idea why that is necessary but whatever) and put in 14-30 receptacle and buy ClipperCreek AmazingE 1772 EVSE (He likes that brand as they are UL listed, out of Idaho, and they answer the phone when needed...so apparently worth the additional $150 over the cheaper one) ($330 for the EVSE and $600 for the labor and parts to run wire and change the existing receptacle to 14-30)
3. Say "fuggetaboutit..." and just charge my girly little RAV4-Prime battery on the standard 110v that it came with and call it a day. (Cost= ++$930 saved + a 12-Pack of something called WhiteClaw for Charlie's time today
I’m wondering if Charlie is running a ground wire for the nema 14-50r receptacle that many chargers have.
I have a Grizzle charger that has a Nema 06-50P which doesn’t require that extra wire. It’s a stove hookup bs dryer hookup generically. But I’m not an electrician.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
624 Posts
Chuckles70, just curious, how did you know he was a former tenant? 🤔😳 Are you a bike builder subculture guy and know him? I wouldn’t doubt it it is a very small tight knit community!
You are right about everything there, those bike building guys are scrappy!
I’m a cyclist and know the culture and just made an assumption. OP mentioned a bike builder tenant somewhere above BTW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’m wondering if Charlie is running a ground wire for the nema 14-50r receptacle that many chargers have.
I have a Grizzle charger that has a Nema 06-50P which doesn’t require that extra wire. It’s a stove hookup bs dryer hookup generically. But I’m not an electrician.
Hi Dcl, I don't know the answer to that. I think the previous tenant in that space removed one of the wires to that outlet in a cannibalization move. Not really sure.
We are currently investigating using an existing single phase 240v outlet in the building. There are two issues:
1. The receptacle is a 6-20 and it either needs to be switched out to 14-30 or 14-50 like you have;
and 2. It is over 20ft from where the car would be (at least a 30 foot cord needed to reach where my RAV can be)
So right now investigating the possibility of an adaptor like this one: 6-20P 3-Pin Male Plug To 14-30R Dryer 4-Prong Female Socket Receptacle Outlet Electric Power Cord Cable Adapter/Converter NEMA FX804 220/250V input 220/250V Output - - Amazon.com, then a ten foot NEMA 14-30 extension cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/M1A2-Extensi...7&sprefix=nema+14-30+extension,aps,142&sr=8-8 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Dcl, I don't know the answer to that. I think the previous tenant in that space removed one of the wires to that outlet in a cannibalization move. Not really sure.
We are currently investigating using an existing single phase 240v outlet in the building. There are two issues:
1. The receptacle is a 6-20 and it either needs to be switched out to 14-30 or 14-50 like you have;
and 2. It is over 20ft from where the car would be (at least a 30 foot cord needed to reach where my RAV can be)
So right now investigating the possibility of an adaptor like this one: 6-20P 3-Pin Male Plug To 14-30R Dryer 4-Prong Female Socket Receptacle Outlet Electric Power Cord Cable Adapter/Converter NEMA FX804 220/250V input 220/250V Output - - Amazon.com, then a ten foot NEMA 14-30 extension cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/M1A2-Extension-14-30P-14-30R-Charging/dp/B09P34QS94/ref=sr_1_8?crid=NJCAZXSDNC08&keywords=nema+14-30+extension+cord&qid=1663865517&sprefix=nema+14-30+extension,aps,142&sr=8-8 🤷‍♂️
sounds like an easy solution to me . i see no problem with this .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
sounds like an easy solution to me . i see no problem with this .
here is what the live receptacle found looks like...it seems to match on the chart a "6-20R" so that makes it a little harder than a standard 6-20P but hopefully doable. (I flipped it upside down to show it is like the drawing on the chart). If we can get it to work, will be a much cheaper solution albeit not very elegant ;)
Elegant solution Charlie = $600+
Elegant solution BikeDude = $350+possible 'splosions or fire
Inelegant adaptor solution = $150 (I think when all is said and done)

Product Font Audio equipment Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
wow yup thats an R wish it were a P . you are just not having a lot of luck are you ? lol. ya id be switching that ugly thing out .
Yeah, its been a wild ride lately, I think I'm super lucky as I was able to get a RAV4 Prime delivered to me in less than 2 weeks in the middle of this craziness that is going on these days. Both my daily drivers blew up on me in 2 weeks last month, one of them, a diesel VW Golf, quite literally blew up!...I live in SoCal so needed a car like most people need food or oxygen...Went to all the usual suspects like Tesla, Nissan, Everyone told me "no car for you!" including Toyota. So I called in a "favor" from Toyota (whole different story but they owed me one, say it like Marlon Brando in "The Godfather" : "Hey, Toyota, I need you to do me a favor..." ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
here is what the live receptacle found looks like...it seems to match on the chart a "6-20R" so that makes it a little harder than a standard 6-20P but hopefully doable. (I flipped it upside down to show it is like the drawing on the chart). If we can get it to work, will be a much cheaper solution albeit not very elegant ;)
Elegant solution Charlie = $600+
Elegant solution BikeDude = $350+possible 'splosions or fire
Inelegant adaptor solution = $150 (I think when all is said and done)

View attachment 187446
In NEMA-speak, the R stands for receptacle (what you find on the wall) and the P stands for plug (with prongs sticking out). In the diagram the outlined holes are receptacles (columns 1 and 3). The solid black are plugs (column 2).

The larger pictured receptacle will accept either a 6-15P or a 6-20P. There is no equivalent plug that has the T shape. The smaller receptacle photo will only accept the 6-15P.

Note that connecting a charger to this plug will allow you to charge at a max of 16 amps. This of course will be fine for a 3.3kW charger, but only will supply about half of what the 6.6kW charger can use. You can still use it with a 6.6 charger, but it will just take a bit over 4 hours for a full charge. I am not sure which charger you have (if you said, I could not find it).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
In NEMA-speak, the R stands for receptacle (what you find on the wall) and the P stands for plug (with prongs sticking out). In the diagram the outlined holes are receptacles (columns 1 and 3). The solid black are plugs (column 2).

The larger pictured receptacle will accept either a 6-15P or a 6-20P. There is no equivalent plug that has the T shape. The smaller receptacle photo will only accept the 6-15P.

Note that connecting a charger to this plug will allow you to charge at a max of 16 amps. This of course will be fine for a 3.3kW charger, but only will supply about half of what the 6.6kW charger can use. You can still use it with a 6.6 charger, but it will just take a bit over 4 hours for a full charge. I am not sure which charger you have (if you said, I could not find it).
I have the standard 3.3kW onboard
Not sure if you know but both those are the exact same photo of my existing receptacle, I just zoomed in on the plug and rotated it upside down in photoshop to show that it matches the drawing on the diagram chart.
Are you saying there won't be any adaptor that goes from that receptacle to 14-30 female? I thought the "T Shape" hole was important to have a "T Shape" plug fitting, no? Sorry, I dont know this stuff, so bear with me.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
OK so I just got notice from top level management (my wife), that she is adding this charger quest to her list of things I am not allowed to try and save money on 😂 (Previous entries to this list have been eye surgery and motorcycle tires)
So back to Charlie if I really want to do this thing...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the standard 3.3kW onboard
Not sure if you know but both those are the exact same photo of my existing receptacle, I just zoomed in on the plug and rotated it upside down in photoshop to show that it matches the drawing on the diagram chart.
OK, I did not notice the T shape in the small photo. 16 amps with a 3.3kW charger will give you the maximum charge rate.
Are you saying there won't be any adaptor that goes from that receptacle to 14-30 female? I thought the "T Shape" hole was important to have a "T Shape" plug fitting, no? Sorry, I dont know this stuff, so bear with me.:)
As far as I know, there is no plug with a T shaped prong for that receptacle. It is designed to accept either a 6-15P with two horizontal prongs or a 6-20P with one horizontal and one vertical prong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What I would say you should do is get a EVSE with a 6-20 plug such as the Lectron available from Amazon. It has a 21 foot cord. Then get a 6-20 extension cord for the remaining length. Use the shortest extension that will reach that is not stretched to get there. You do not want a lot of coiled cord around (tends to keep heat in the cord) and you do not want the cord stretched and hanging in the air (too much weight on the car connector and the wall connector). You can find extension cords on Amazon as well. The cords have a 6-20P (plug) and a most have a 6-20R with the T shaped connection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
What I would say you should do is get a EVSE with a 6-20 plug such as the Lectron available from Amazon. It has a 21 foot cord. Then get a 6-20 extension cord for the remaining length. Use the shortest extension that will reach that is not stretched to get there. You do not want a lot of coiled cord around (tends to keep heat in the cord) and you do not want the cord stretched and hanging in the air (too much weight on the car connector and the wall connector). You can find extension cords on Amazon as well. The cords have a 6-20P (plug) and a most have a 6-20R with the T shaped connection.
Outstanding...I found the Lectron nema 6-20 L2 charger and a 16ft 6-20 extension cord, but the odd thing is that the 6-20 plugs do not have a T-shape in them...
So the plug won't have a T-shape part but the receptacle will? If that is the case, This looks very promising...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Outstanding...I found the Lectron nema 6-20 L2 charger and a 16ft 6-20 extension cord, but the odd thing is that the 6-20 plugs do not have a T-shape in them...
So the plug won't have a T-shape part but the receptacle will? If that is the case, This looks very promising...
As I said, the T shape is for compatibility with both 6-20P and 6-15P. One has a flat horizontal prong and the other a vertical prong. You will not find a T shaped prong. They do the same thing for the 120 volt receptacles (5-20R). The T shape allows a 5-20P 20 amp plug to be plugged in as well as a standard household 5-15P 15 amp plug.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts