Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have them installed but i do not know how to wire them.These lights are 3 function.Break-Signel-and on at night.
They came with 4 wires but they only have 3 functions so i guess one of them is for ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Typically, the black is ground and the red is battery positive or parking light circuit, lighting up the running light. Yellow is usually turn signal and blue would be for the brake light function. Only the black is set in stone for being the ground. You may need to swap colors to get the functions correct. As long as black is ground, then you won't have any issues swapping wires.

On each side of the car, under the paneling you should find a connector for the rear lighting. You should be able to get all the connections you need right there for each light. You can usually get the connector wiring diagrams by looking at tow lighting kits, which usually use these connectors to tie into the parking and brake lights.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
There might be an issue with getting the brake light sourced since these new lights mount to the lift gate and the only brake light on the gate is the third light in the center. The other brake lights are on the body of the vehicle. Something to keep in mind when searching for wires. Running and turn signals are accessible on the gate, not sure where the third light connections are made, maybe under the rear headliner once it goes through the rubber tubes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK all is working but i have the blue wire left. Signal and brake lights are working but i can't find a connection to light them up at night. BTW: I got all of the connections from the rear tail light.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,497 Posts
@420benz is the blue per chance parking light power source?

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,497 Posts
Sorry i don't understand.
Usually three colors. One is brake +. One is ground. One is turn +. A fourth can be parking + so that when you dont turn on main headlights you still illumimate the LED segment.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just need to find the connection to only light up these new lights at night.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Blinkers and Brakes already work. Now i also need to find a connection to only light up these new lights at night.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sorry Blinkers and Brakes already work. Now i also need to find a connection to only light up these new lights at night.
When you turn on your headlights, your tail lights, the ones on the rear hatch itself, will light. This would be your source for the what is referred to as running lights. These house your turn signals but not your brake lights so since you have the turn signals working portion working, the source for the running light (blue wire) would be in the same area as the turn signals. Remember, the back up light are there too and you don't want to tap into those wires. Good luck. Oh yea, another source could be the license plate lights. They come on with the headlight as well.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,497 Posts
Turned out well @420benz! If someone misses you braking...they were obviously NOT looking at that road!

Is the color and intensity of the horizontal ones on the hatch the same as the ones mounted on the fender? Cameras can play tricks for certain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts