Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had this issue>?

When the weather is Hot over here in Northern California about 89+ Fahrenheit, I lose the air conditioning, ABS light comes on, RPM needle dies, Traction control light comes on, engine temperature control dies.
And if I park my car My steering wheel locks I have to drive the car about 5ft in reverse or froward until it unlocks itself automatically. Please take a look at the pics I have attached I mark the Lights that come on in a red circle.

But when the weather is nice and cool I never have this issue. I replaced my battery about 5,000 miles ago since the old one died.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Could it be something for cooling? Radiator fan or something similar? When this happens, can you read the error codes it puts out? That may help some others diagnose it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Did the problem begin after the battery was replaced, or was it already there prior to installing the new battery? To make certain that the battery is OK (occasionally they do fail sooner than expected) the battery can be tested for no cost at some auto supply stores. Are the battery terminals and cable ends clean, and are the battery connections tight? Also the problem could be caused by a loose or dirty battery ground cable connection at the chassis or engine mounting point, or by the positive battery cable connection at the starter relay. And further, a fuse insert point connection could be dirty or corroded so pulling and reinserting the fuses could resolve the problem.

If there is an electrical connection problem, increased heat can increase electrical resistance at connections which results in problems due to the increased resistance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the problem begin after the battery was replaced, or was it already there prior to installing the new battery? To make certain that the battery is OK (occasionally they do fail sooner than expected) the battery can be tested for no cost at some auto supply stores. Are the battery terminals and cable ends clean, and are the battery connections tight? Also the problem could be caused by a loose or dirty battery ground cable connection at the chassis or engine mounting point, or by the positive battery cable connection at the starter relay. And further, a fuse insert point connection could be dirty or corroded so pulling and reinserting the fuses could resolve the problem.

If there is an electrical connection problem, increased heat can increase electrical resistance at connections which results in problems due to the increased resistance.
Now that you ask. I let my sister borrow my car to go to the store and she told me that my car did what I described on my previous post. 2 days later my battery died
But it didn't happen to me before the battery was replaced.

I will check the ground cables and reseat the fuses. Thanks for the advise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts