Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 RAV4 Limited certified Toyota. I've noticed on Seattle I-5 highway that the road noise is very loud in the cab. It's pretty unbearable. I have to crank up the stereo just to hear low music. I can't even understand what my passenger is saying unless they talk loudly. This is a 2nd car. My other is an 06 Land Rover LR3. No road noise at all. It's obvious Toyota skimps on insulation.

My old 4 runner didn't seem loud. I would think a 2016 would be better because it's new tech etc. It has crappy tires on it. They are almost brand new. I'm looking for advice on what if any of you have done that seemed to cut down road noise in your cabs. New tires?, Sound proofing etc.

If so details on what you used or purchased would be nice. I've had this thing only about 2 weeks and if I can't find a solution to the noise problem I will be selling this car asap and buying something else with better ride quality:rolleyes:. It sucks because this car is easy and fun to drive. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. BTW: It's really bad 60mph and over..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't personally speak to your exact situation but tires to matter. I find that premium brand (Michelin, Goodyear Etc) are always noticeably better in virtually every category. However, if road noise is a big concern of yours, I recommend measuring it.

An inexpensive meter like this, though not super accurate, is probably adequate to differentiate between an unbearable noise and a comfortable volume in the cab. But this will also help you see if your changes are working.

Looking at this website, it looks like 66-74 is pretty decent

If your car is outside of this range you might want to have it looked at. It is possible that there is something wrong with your vehicle. Maybe go to Carmax/a used Toyota dealer with your meter and see how your car compares to the same model?

Noise reduction is not a simple task. A ton of engineering and "art" goes into making your car sound the way it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Will do. It's a certified used from Toyota dealership so if something else is going on they will figure it out.

To me though it just sounds like a lot of unnecessary noise because the boot and cab are not insulated well enough to make a quiet ride which to me for the $$$ isn't worth it. I do wish I had researched about the car better prior to buying but was in a pinch and this car seemed like a good purchase at the time.

Toyotas do last a long time. But looks like this one is going to have to be modified in order for me to bear it for 3 years till I can get a different vehicle. I will not return to buying a Toyota after this one. They want too much for their loud cars. I have buyer's remorse.

I will keep a look out to see if anything improves but by the sounds of other people who live in the Seattle WA I-5 (we have concrete crappy roads) nothing seems to help with noise reduction. I'm truly disappointed in Toyota this time around since they haven't found a way to reduce cabin noise in even their lower end model cars.

It's not rocket science and shouldn't be so expensive that they can't take the extra step and do it for as much as they want for these 4 bangers. My old 90s car in high school had more insulation than these new things. It's sad that they chose to cut corners there. Was truly a mistake.

Next time l will research better on the car I want to buy before making a purchase. It won't be a Toyota. Thanks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, agreed, the best solution is NOT to buy another Toyota. Their design philosophy is just not compatible with mine - I am used to GM and North American mentality. This shows up re noise factors, user interfaces, and other admittedly minor areas, but add them up and I am almost always annoyed. Toyota engineers have to live over here a long time and get more pragmatic / educated on what we want nowadays.

e.g. They over-engineer some items e.g. bulb and electrical connectors are engineered to go the moon, however, they were still using cheapo incandescent bulbs in my 2016. I can easily see 50% cost reduction in their lighting connectors (I used to design Signal Flashers, was on an SAE light committee, etc.). Admit 20 yrs ago they lead in reliability in fundamental automotive functionality - BUT those glory days are LONG gone and they need to step it up big time now. They seem penny wise and pound foolish to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts