Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! people im a newbie when it comes to forums :p and my english isnt to good. is it possible to upgrade my brakes from a celica 4x4 turbo to my rav? thinking about buying a crashed celica 4x4 turbo and use the 3sgte engine and brakes

:twisted:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know about that, but wasn't there a JDM version of the rav that came with rear discs? I actually maybe interested in this conversion also. And possibly taking the guts from a 3sgte also :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Mohit said:
Aussie 98-00 RAV4.1s came with rear disc brakes
So how many pieces/parts would we have to source to make this work?? :D
Or did the US model 98-00 come with them as well?
will have to look into this...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I can tell all US 4.1s have drums. My 98 AWD is drums. I want disks though. How hard would it be to convert is the question.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replying :)

I think maybe the rav4 with 5 doors came in some countries with disc brakes... have seen pictures.. I think I'll have to call the local toyota dealer and ask them about it.
And do you people know of anyone who has made an 3sfe swap with a 3sgte? i know the engine fits but is there alot of work with the wireing and the transmission?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 3sgte swap has been done. The older 3sgte is supposedly easier than the latest one. I can't remember exact models for the engine. Alternatively, the 3sge has also been swapped in, and it is slightly simplier. The tranny is supposed to be almost an exact bolt-on. The mount are similar. Overall, not a hard swap.....just some set backs. If you go to the Rav OZ forums, Andrew has a nice couple of threads about his swap. Really informitive. Its not the easiest project to take on, but it can be done. Also, you can look through this forum using the search feature. There were quite a few threads last year on this topic. A few discussions on the tranny and whether it will hold the power.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I have done some research on the subject. It can be done. It isn't impossible. But the labor and the money is really not worth it. It would be easier to go to a salvage yard and get a RAV4 with OEM Rear Disc Brakes and make the change from one to another. Better said, then done. To do a professional job you will need:

The discs
Lines
ABS system (Complete)
Emergency Brake Cable
Hoses
OBC (Remember Stick and Auto computers are different)

Good luck.

I just upgraded my system. Premium rear shoes, Stainless Steel Lines I guess it the most that you can get, Oh yea, and keep them well ajusted. That is about it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Well, check this out. This guys is selling every thing regarding his RAV4. If I'm not mistaken, those are Disc Brakes, or am I seeing things. He said he got it from a rear brake assembly from a Celica GT-S. :?: But I tried to get some more information from him. But looks like information i$ power.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm. would be nice to buy some parts from that car :)
but if i do buy that crashed celica gt-4 93. i would get all the parts i need for my mods, its crashed in the left front corner of the car,
so i think there is alot of good parts, and its werry cheap becouse its an importet car that is not payd in to norway.
i found it in a magasine the same day i started thinking of modify my rav.. it must be a sign from above :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You can buy some parts from his RAV, he is parting out some of the cooler stuff from his car; check it out:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3616

Mensagero, that RAV4 is Raymond's; forum member TRayD. I am sure if you ask him for info. he'll help you out. Buy some of his cool stuff, and he'll definitely answer your questions. :lol:

If I remember correctly, the rear disc brakes are not from a RAV4 but another donor Toyota (Celica I think). I think I remember him mentioning that it did not work out too well though. :cry: Looks cool though. :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
better to spend your time and money beefing-up the front brakes and leave the drums on the back!! 90% of heavy braking is done by the front disks anyway!! last thing you want is too much brake at the back and have it whip around when the rear wheels lock-up!! putting disks on the rear may actually make your stopping distance increase coz the back end will lock-up first & force you to let-off the brakes!!!!!!

lock up the fronts & you'll just go straight.. lock up the back-end & just hang on for the ride!!!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
better to spend your time and money beefing-up the front brakes and leave the drums on the back!! 90% of heavy braking is done by the front disks anyway!! last thing you want is too much brake at the back and have it whip around when the rear wheels lock-up!! putting disks on the rear may actually make your stopping distance increase coz the back end will lock-up first & force you to let-off the brakes!!!!!!

lock up the fronts & you'll just go straight.. lock up the back-end & just hang on for the ride!!!!!
Rear disks are a maintenance pain in the ass too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rear brake mod!!!!!!!!!

hi there

I heard that the rear discs on the 2001 to 2004 are the same as the 1998 to 2000 year rav4.

So if you can get the complete assembly from a 2001 you can do the swap,make sure u got the rotors lines caliper and caliper mounts and you are on your way.

Or better try to source a 1998 to 1999 Rav4 type G from japan,they come with 4 wheel disc brakes.

pearlrav4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts