Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again. Since I've installed the transaxle and engine oil cooler from Derale there is always some oil leaking from the hoses. Time to upgrade, (a long time ago). What I need to know are the couplings needed from Earl Pluming or Russell.

What I also need to know is hose fittings (coupler) diameter of the Derale duo oil cooler. these are the specification from Derale. Here is the oil cooler kit. BTW, I've tried asking at Summit Racing but sometimes those questions might take a llooooong time for them to answer.

Overall Height (in): 12.500 in.
Overall Width (in): 17.000 in.
Overall Thickness (in): 0.750 in.
Cooler Construction: Tube and fin
Cooler Material: Copper/Aluminum
Inlet Size: 1/2 in.
Inlet Attachment: Hose barb
Outlet Size: 1/2 in.
Outlet Attachment: Hose barb
Number of Cooling Rows: 6 and 4
Core Height (in): 12.500 in.
Core Width (in): 14.000 in.
Core Thickness (in): 0.750 in.

I want to do this. But I'll need the diameter of the oil filter outlet and hoses diameter. I'm not to good at this. I want to order the correct once and not have to send them back to whom ever I'm buying them from.
https://goo.gl/photos/h7HRT27qBjJSx9Ho9

This is where the oil is leaking so I need these parts.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4djJErCZIcNVJzSEIyWHFkejQ/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you put the threaded nipples into the oil filter outlet did you coat the threads with anything ? Plumbers use a thick coating in a tube for threaded fittings on oil burners ( heating units). It's called Rector Seal.
Did you tighten them enough ?

You can't just tighten things like clamps to make it stop leaking ?

I only see a dreaded blue ? at the end of your post so these are my best guesses using the info I do see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is the hose end on a hose barb or the threaded nipples in 2 of your pictures ?

It said somewhere "½" hose barb" A threaded fitting would be slightly larger.

Thinking I don't understand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 2 pictures you showed of the oil cooler base both show threaded in and out fittings.

This picture of the product you linked to shows hose barb smaller than the threaded part.
Maybe you could add a second hose clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I should change the entire system, because it just works so well. The transaxle has Amsoil and I recently checked it. It was the same as I poured it six years ago. The engine cooler, also works great. The 3SFE engine is notoriously an oil guzzler, not this one. All oil are always with a lot of viscosity. It's like running it on ball bearings. Besides, its only a trickle and I think it only does it in traffic, not at high speed. It doesn't even leave oil spots in my garage. Never the less, its got to go. I think I'll get two individual coolers from Earl or Russell.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm going to do is the following. I'm separating the coolers. Place one for the transaxle and the other for the engine oil. I got this.
That was my first intention a long time ago. Thanks that I saved it. The trans-axle cooler has never given any problems, other then extending the life of the trans-axle. :thumbs_up::wink
I would need 60 inches of Ultra Flex™ 660 series hose and the fittings, ouch. $22.76 per foot, double ouch. :surprise

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
For my hot-rod which has a very high pressure oil pump, I use Setrab coolers, with electric fan and thermostat (which actuates the fans), and of course Earl's hoses. Highly recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts