Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

New to the Rav4 forums but figured this would be the best place to post. I have a 06 Rav4 4WD, 4 Cylinder that i recently did a brake job by changing the pads/rotors. After going for a test drive, the drivers side was smoking terribly and super hot just after 5 min of driving < 30 MPH.

Went back to take a look, made sure the calipers pins could slide freel also that the pads could slide within the clips, replaced the lube on the pins, and even the caliper itself, still smoking ( but not as bad as before ).

It seems as if the caliper is sticking, When on a jack stand and i push the brake and release, it seems the drivers side never really releases and binds terribly unless the caliper is manually pushed back. The passenger side is fine. i've been looking through previous posts, and seems like it could be the brake hose, since i've replaced everything else, but visually it looks fine to me! Any other things i can test/check? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i replaced the Caliper with Reman and the same result which is weird. SlickRacer mentioned the Brake hose which i haven't replaced yet even though it does look good, it's pretty much my last option other than the brake caliper bracket.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Your master cylinder can have issues too. The piston can become seized and not let the fluid back in when your release your foot off the brake. Not sure how to fix as I never experienced it. Just read about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI Guys,

Just wanted to give an update, i haven't replaced the brake hose yet but decided to take the wheel off and do some inspection. What i notice is that with the drivers side wheel off ( Problematic side ), you can spin the passenger side wheel freely no issues. When i put the drivers side wheel back on, and tighten the lugs, its super hard to turn. Could it be a bad wheel hub?

·
Registered
312 Posts
HI Guys,

Just wanted to give an update, i haven't replaced the brake hose yet but decided to take the wheel off and do some inspection. What i notice is that with the drivers side wheel off ( Problematic side ), you can spin the passenger side wheel freely no issues. When i put the drivers side wheel back on, and tighten the lugs, its super hard to turn. Could it be a bad wheel hub?
I don't think it's the hub or bearing making it hard to turn but the caliper staying loaded onto the rotor. Try bleeding that caliper to get the old hopefully dirty fluid out..Since you changed the caliper , not sure what else to try. Try the brake hose otherwise it's hard to say what's happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the brake hose, didn't resolve the issue. Finally gave up and took it to the mechanic. Turned out the caliper PINS were reversed ( the pin with the black rubber piece that goes over it apparently goes at the bottom of the caliper , contrary to what I've read ). Thanks everyone for the suggestions and posts!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Replaced the brake hose, didn't resolve the issue. Finally gave up and took it to the mechanic. Turned out the caliper PINS were reversed ( the pin with the black rubber piece that goes over it apparently goes at the bottom of the caliper , contrary to what I've read ). Thanks everyone for the suggestions and posts!
Wow.....I would have never guessed that would be an issue. I've removed that little rubber a few times over the years without any issues either.....glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
So after you bought the reman caliper you took the slider pin apart and reversed the order ? Glad when I lubricated my slider pins I did the top one first then reinstalled them back and did the bottom one later so not to get them mixed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts