Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
my 2001 Rav4 is giving a P0161 OBD2 code (engine light on). This translates to O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction bank2 sensor2.

I am guessing that i need a new oxygen sensor - if so which one, how much should it cost, where should i buy it online (or in NYC) and can i install it myself (DIY mechanic).

If it is not this does anyone know what it could be?

How much have people paid a garage (tristate area) to install a new sensor?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that is your catalytic converter o2 sensor that has gone bad, my has too because of excessive nitrous usage. they usually go bad from those fuel additives, that claim to bring your octane level up.....

either way shouldnt be too hard to change the o2 is located on your cat alll you got to do is pop it out and put in the new one.... piece of cake.... good luck and let me know how it goes and how much it cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had the same problem with a 2003 Rav4. I had 78,500 miles on it. But let me tell you the whole story. I found the fuse in the engine compartment that reset the ECU. The light went out and came on within 1 mile. I then went to Autozone who told me the code and explanation for free (same as yours). I went to toyota thinking it would be covered under the 80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. I told Toyota the code information, they said they had to check it themselves and it would take 1-1 1/2 hours since the computer probably had to be reprogrammed. Well the rip off artists took the car in, I think it was in for 30 minutes, they cam back out, said the code, same as what i told them but they ignored, billed me $90.00 and said the sensor would be $280. When I told them all they did was tell me what i told them they said "well we had to check". I swore never again, had to pay them to get the car back and left. :evil: When I checked I was told the sensor was $150 i think from Toyota, Autozone wanted $175.00 for the same sensor. based on your results 9about how hard it is to replace) I figure I may do it myself. if you do it PLEASE let me know how hard and any tricks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
JBlank912 said:
I just had the same problem with a 2003 RAV4. I had 78,500 miles on it. But let me tell you the whole story. I found the fuse in the engine compartment that reset the ECU. <snip>
When I checked I was told the sensor was $150 i think from Toyota, Autozone wanted $175.00 for the same sensor. based on your results 9about how hard it is to replace) I figure I may do it myself. if you do it PLEASE let me know how hard and any tricks.
Thanks.
Try http://www.oxygensensors.com/

And use lots of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak before attempting removal. Those suckers heat weld themselves in. On the new install - use some antiseize paste on the threads, just do not get ANY on the sensor "nose" itself.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just replaced this sensor on my 2001, and it was very easy to do, however my engine light came on again after I reset it. Unfortunately here in Ireland we do not have an Autozone and we have to go to Toyota to get this read, I bought the sensor the last time for 195 Euro and this was ex-VAT.
Does this new sensor need to be calibrated or does a monitor have to be done to put light out??

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
nfafan said:
JBlank912 said:
I just had the same problem with a 2003 RAV4. I had 78,500 miles on it. But let me tell you the whole story. I found the fuse in the engine compartment that reset the ECU. <snip>
When I checked I was told the sensor was $150 i think from Toyota, Autozone wanted $175.00 for the same sensor. based on your results 9about how hard it is to replace) I figure I may do it myself. if you do it PLEASE let me know how hard and any tricks.
Thanks.
Try http://www.oxygensensors.com/

And use lots of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak before attempting removal. Those suckers heat weld themselves in. On the new install - use some antiseize paste on the threads, just do not get ANY on the sensor "nose" itself.
Ditto this advice. I would also recommend that you let the exhaust completely cool before attempting too remove the sensor. PB Blaster works wonders on frozen parts. Most definitely apply more anti-sieze before installing a new sensor.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To JBlank912,

Just out of curiousity, why was this not covered under warranty if you were under 80,000 miles

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I live in Ireland which happens to be at the moment the biggest rip off country in Europe!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts