Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I've started removing my rav4's old engine to make room for the new one however there doesn't seem to be enough room to just drop it out, i was wondering if anyone had a guide for me to get the engine out or just some pointers thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Try and get hold of a manual, the Haynes is written for the US market if that helps, you'll appreciate there's a lot of work ahead of you, the subframe or 'K' frame (due to its shape) has to be dropped, the engine can then be lowered to the floor and the car has to be raised up to withdraw the engine.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did this on my 98. I thought that I could pull it from the top to avoid dealing with the weight of the engine and transaxle on the garage floor. Actulally , once on the floor it was relatively easy to muscle out. The front end was not raised that far off the ground. I followed my Haynes manual and it was pretty good. The only issueI had was with the engine compartment side of the wiring harness. There is a " trap door" on the black plastic junction box that slides up to access two terminals. The harness comes out with the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts