Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this car cheap in the knowledge that it needed a wheel bearing and clunk sound sorted. ... I took it down to my local indy garage and straight away they found a very worn front bearing and a loose anti-roll bar linkage. They sorted it for me for a fair price but there is still a loud thrumming/rumbling sound which just like a classic wheel bearing sound, gets louder as you increase speed and does not change pitch on a gear change.
Admittedly the the noise has gotten a lot quiter since changing the front bearing.

The puzzling thing is that when we investigated all the wheels only the front one that was changed had any play in it.

It sounds like it's coming from the rear, the rumble gets noticeably louder when turning hard left and almost disapears when taking a hard right.

Would I be justified in thinking that the rear drivers side bearing also needs changed (despite finding no play in it), or might there be a more obvious culprit?
Its a 5 door 2004 2.0 vvt-i with all-wheel drive.

P.s I'm UK based so drivers side would be the right hand side.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Yes it's very common for bearings to make noise before they show appreciable play. Also keep in mind that the brake pads & caliper tend to limit play so w/o removing the caliper you may not see the full extent of the play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ak ok. Thanks for replying Dr Dyno.
I will investigate some more, perhaps I'll be able to hear or feel it if I pay more attention to it ... Especially if I do it without the parking brake on. .. I'd like to make sure I figure out which one is failing before I book it back in at the garage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts