Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I need some help. I want to run my fog as DRL. Fog is aftermarket OE style.
How can I wire up a relay to turn on with ign and off when low beam or parking light come on at night?
I don't understand how to wire a relay for it.

Long story short. I am running retrofitted headlights. So, I'd like to have DRL on the fog lamps instead.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Will this work?
From relay.
30 - Ign fuse (underhood fusebox) using add a fuse.
87a - 12v+ of fog lamp
85 - 12v+ trigger source (parking, low or high beam 12v+ wire)
86 - Ground

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yes it will work. I'd connect 85 to parking lights since they will be on with low or high beams.
Or if your new fogs are LEDs you can do it all w/o a relay by powering them directly from IGN power and connecting their ground to the parking lights.

But in either case the high beams which are connected in series with each other by DRL relay 3 will still work as DRLs. You can defeat them by replacing the relay with a 4-pin relay. Then use the 5-pin you just removed for your new circuit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, it didnt work.
The 30a AM2 fuse is Hot ALL the time. Even without the key in the ignition.

End up tapping into the EFI No. 2 for power. EFI No. 1 will also work. Those 2 only get hot if the key is ON.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I have wired a fog light before and the 87a makes the fog light stay on with the ignition key off. But when you wire it to 87 it will come on with the ignition only.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha. I'm going to do some more test and see when I have a little more spare time. But for the time being, it work with 87a used on my set up.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I have wired a fog light before and the 87a makes the fog light stay on with the ignition key off. But when you wire it to 87 it will come on with the ignition only.
In this case 87a is the correct pin since the desired result is the opposite of a normal fog light connection. He's getting ignition switched power on pin 30, which with the relay de-energized sends power to his fogs being used as DRLs via 87a, the normally closed pin.
Then when the relay is energized by the head or parking lights the DRLs go off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something strange is happening with my setup.
The fog would randomly turn ON in the middle of the night. ON for a second the OFF.
Is the Injector Fuse randomly getting power? Like a self check or something?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
One never knows what's happening in the ECUs these days. I've measured quiescent (car off) battery drain current on a few newer cars and found it steps down gradually over several minutes as apparently different systems are shutting down. Maybe some of them re-energize periodically.
So try EFI #1 or another key-on circuit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'm thinking, about another fuse spot to tap. It seems strange that's all. Only reason I notice was because my motion security camera inside the garage tripped. Happened 3x last night. 3a, 5a, and 8am this morning.
If the EFI 1 spot doesn't work, I may have to extend the wire longer over to the other fuse box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts