Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Take it to a place to see if the tire can be plugged. If you can't get it repaired you need to buy a new tire.

How on earth is it possible to run over a nail on the side unless someone did that ?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's borderline between tread and sidewall, so does make decision a little tricky. Does it even leak? If no, pull it and monitor. Tire shop probably want to sell you a new tire, but they might patch it, or you could fix it yourself:

I've fixed nail damage in the tread area with this kind of a kit and it has always lasted through the life of the tire:
https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automotive-22-5-08806-M-Monkey-Tubeless/dp/B000KKLOBY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509469168&sr=8-5&keywords=monkey+grip+tire+repair&dpID=41hDUxXwmOL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Auto parts stores carry these also.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Same here. I plugged a tire myself once on another car in that same area. No one wanted to patch/plug it so I just used one of those DIY kits to plug it from outside.
It lasted until I had to throw the tire, maybe around 40K miles.

What you can do is plug the tire with a DIY kit, mark it with white paint and drive around. Avoid highways and high speeds. check every 5 miles in the beginning. If ever you see the the plug moving, ditch the tire.

That's what I would do for my own tire. Try at your own risk.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Your TPMS is your friend here. Plug it yourself and carry a pump if it alerts. Wouldn't hurt to put in a bottle of Slime.

If you go to a tire store I guarantee they'll try to sell you a tire and maybe even four because you have 4WD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts