Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a remote start for my 2006 rav 4 .I dont need any fancy stuff just one that's starts it from 30 feet or so away. I'd like something simple enough thatg I can install it myself without special tools or complicated process.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you don't have a transponder in your rav then a simple remote starter from eBay will work...probably less than 50 bucks...fairly easy to install (depending on your ability)...there is plenty of wiring diagrams out there and a video on YouTube...take a look and see what you think...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Yes, it looks like you have a 2006 Sport model, so no immobilizer to worry about. Installation should be easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey junebug ,how did you know I have a sport model? I do.. It's a 4 cyl too. Thanks both you folks for the advise. I'll check ebay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I, too have 06 RAV4 Sport V6, and want to have remote starter. Can anyone link me to the correct deives. I don't want to spend alots money on the bells and whistle, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ked QUOTE=rhino;1968793]I, too have 06 RAV4 Sport V6, and want to have remote starter. Can anyone link me to the correct deives. I don't want to spend alots money on the bells and whistle, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Please let me know too. btw mine is 4x4 .

I checked ebay where they had som inexpensive ones but until they get vyour money they don't send the install instructions, leaving me believing that they must be very complicated or they would show us them, we cant do anything with them with out the product so I'm guessing its very complicated.
I'm still searching and if I find something that looks ok I'll post it in this thread. Can you do the same ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ked QUOTE=rhino;1968793]I, too have 06 RAV4 Sport V6, and want to have remote starter. Can anyone link me to the correct deives. I don't want to spend alots money on the bells and whistle, thanks.
Please let me know too. btw mine is 4x4 .

I checked ebay where they had som inexpensive ones but until they get vyour money they don't send the install instructions, leaving me believing that they must be very complicated or they would show us them, we cant do anything with them with out the product so I'm guessing its very complicated.
I'm still searching and if I find something that looks ok I'll post it in this thread. Can you do the same ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Add on Excalibur Remote Start Kit for Toyota 2003 2009 Uses Your Factory Remotes | eBay

this is the one i used on mine...since you dont have the transponder chip you dont need a bypass unit...less to install...you get the instructions emailed after you purchase it...not hard at all, if you're handy with a car...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2006 Sport 4WD and it comes with key immobilizer. Best way to tell is to look at the key you have. If it do not have a 'Dot' on it then your 06 do not have the immobilizer. I got the OEM Toyota RES installed by the dealer when I bought the car. If you are going to use aftermarket remote starter, you may need the immobilizer bypass if your 06 comes with the immobilizer built in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We are now in the market for remote starter. Sorry for the bump on this thread.
Our rav4 is a 2010 base model with immobilizer.
I read quite of reviews on compustar and I think its a good solid system to have. Just don't know which model to get.
Any recommendations? I thought bout having best buy do the install but I'm going to pass on that.
With my conflicting work hours of 10a-8p M-Sat. I am without option.
No way could I do it myself.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I did my own install...cost me a little over 100...I installed one that allows me to use my factory key instead of having another remote to carry...find a local car stereo shop as they generally will do good work...I would go with viper or python...both DEI brands I believe and they have good stuff...

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I also did my own install. What took the most time was triple-checking every step to avoid blowing out some expensive part like the ECU.
Mine also uses the stock key remote which means it's range is the same as the lock/unlock. (Push lock twice to start.)
Recommendations:
If you need more range than the stock remote go aftermarket.
If you can't see or hear the car from where you want to start it get a two-way system. They aren't much more $$.
Get one with a short run time option unless you don't care about wasting gas. 10 minutes of warmup goes by quick and will kill your mileage pretty quick. Mine is set at 5 minutes. The car isn't toasty but not freezing either.
With all the time doing mine myself I paid Best Buy $300 to install one on my BIL's '08 RAV4 Base in Anchorage, a climate where it's more than a convenience, almost a necessity. Not surprising they do more installs than any other Best Buy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ended up getting a viper 1-way entry level remote starter with installed for total of $255. This include the immobilizer bypass which already cost $50 by itself. Total time took was 1 hour. Shop was great to deal with. Very informative. Very helpful. Down to earth kind of guy, which made our first experience with them even better. He had a 1yr Great Dane in the shop, he came to the counter to greet us. Let us pet him. Great dog..
Was able to take time off today and drove over an hour to get it done.

So far so good. We tried it from inside the house, with the garage detached, and it started right away.. 1000-1500ft range..
Car stayed ON when door open to get in. Stay ON while you put key in and Turn to ON. Tap the brake and off you go on your way.
Factory programmed for 24mins running time, then auto shut off after 24mins.
Parking light lit up while its running to let you know it's ON..

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
...Factory programmed for 24mins running time, then auto shut off after 24mins.
Sounds like a great deal but 24 minutes!? :egad:My car could already be most of the places we drive in 24 minutes. That would cut my mileage in half.
Maybe that's the default setting but it can certainly be set for way less. I rejected several units because their minimum time was 7 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yeah us too on the 5 minutes. But it's surprising how many time the car has timed out and stopped before we actually do leave. I'd check with the installer for the minimum time and have him set it thus. But it's your gas.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I set mine to start with 2 pulses of the unlock...that way I don't need the key to get in if it's still running...my run time is set at 20 minutes tho it seldom runs that long...I have a 14 and 17 year old and sometimes they prefer to stay in the car while we're in a store...with 2 pushes of the rav's inside unlock button the car will start giving them radio, window control, heat or ac...press the interior lock button twice and the rav turns back off.. has proven to be a good setup for me...my unit also has the option of adding a stand alone remote, but I have no need...

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
24 and 20 minutes? If I ever need more than 5 I simply restart. But to each his own gasoline. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I set my wife's at 30 minutes...she insist on a warm car LOL...
All I can say is don't let the tank get low otherwise she'll have to pump gas into a warm car in cold weather.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts