Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't hate me but right now I own a 2014 Subaru Forester:..... can you say oil burner from day one. :crying I am planning on going back to a RAV 4. I was thinking a 2012 Limited. Are there any known problems or things to watch out for? Oil burning? I am really paranoid after this stupid Subaru. I loved my 99 RAV4 and which I had never gotten rid of it. Would welcome any advice. I settled on the 2012 because I am not a big fan of the new looks and 2012 is the last year of the old style.
Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
A 2012 RAV should be a great vehicle - suggest that the obvious checks be done when you find one which you like: Carfax (isn't infallible), go to www.toyotaowners.com, register and then enter the VIN to get the record of services and any recalls done by Toyota dealers. The 2012 should be practically bullet-proof since by that year Toyota should have sorted out any problems with 4.3 generation RAVs.

We know what you mean about the Subaru Forester - my wife bought one new and it was the worst vehicle either of us has ever owned - always had some sort of problem and apart from one out of our area service department which we went to while having a problem while on a trip, those in our home area were incompetent and incompetently run.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really! How much oil is your car burning in 6 months? I heard alot of good things about this car. All the owners i spoke to in the past loves it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was heavily considering a subaru until I read about all the horror stories with the oil burning. Glad I got my Rav4!

2010 has no problems at all! I'm sure the 2012 is just as reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car was just shy of 1 qt per1200 miles. Which Subaru says is ok. But beware it is a fight. They will try to wear you out. They changed my piston rings per my dealer pushing them. No oil burn for ~1.25 years in 7500 miles. Now I have to add a qt at 5000 to 6000. Which sounds like is "normal" for subarus. Not to me, good by. I will never buy a Subaru again. I wish at the first sign of a problem I had gotten rid of it. Lesson learned. The problem is not across the board and may people are happy with their cars. But I would never take a chance again. Research research wish I had. Let me know if you have any more question.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
A 2012 model that has had reasonable care should be somewhat bulletproof. By all means
drive the V-6 as well as the four cylinder. The V-6 will put a silly smile on your face and not beat you up at the gas pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts