Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 rav 4, 5 speed manual, 2WD. I want to know if there is a way to change it from a 2WD to a AWD.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
You have two easy choices: Sell your 2WD and buy a 4WD or but a wrecked 4WD and pay a shop $$$$ to transfer the 4WD transmission and rear end into yours.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
The engine block is different too, it has mounting holes for the 4x4 transaxle that the 2wd does not.

Do a search through the forums, this has been discussed recently.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
What it comes down to is such a transformation is totally impractical unless time and money are no objects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi there. i have a soft top fwd rav. money is no object. so it's just a matter of when. as if a 3sgte swap is cheap anyways.. as if my rav is cheap anyways.. i may begin collecting parts soon. a different rav is out of the question. this ones mine. engine block difference doesnt matter if someone is swapping the engine anyways. i think it's a question of how much suspension parts do we have to swap and what else do we have to add to make awd guts fit.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
You need to get a donor RAV4 because from what I understand, some of the parts like the drive shaft/propeller shaft is no longer available new. This way it would be a simple matter of taking parts off of one and moving them to the other after making sure they are in good shape. If you don't have anywhere to keep the donor, you can usually put one in a storage facility.

Check out www.copart.com to find a donor, of course it would need to be a 2 door version.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
13 Posts
all the 4wd ravs are 4dr... and i wouldnt feel good ripping apart an undamaged 2dr 4wd. obviously it would be a different driveshaft but i wonder how different otherwise?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
At the very least it would be shorter on the 2wd (duh) and the drive shaft center support/bearing may be different so, you need to track down someone with a 4wd 2 door and ask them for photos. The rear differential and transaxles are the same so the ends should be identical.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
Also the 2WD version would have to have the mounting brackets for the rear differential included with the car since adding them could take some custom fabrication. I'll have to take a look under a few RAV4s in parking lots to see.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just a quick look on RockAuto and it appears that the 2 door and the 4 door share the following concerning the rear suspension

- Both differential mounts
- Rear Axles
- Center support bearing
- Shocks
- Rear Springs - although rear springs are different depending on what the original tire size was
- Upper and lower rear control arms

You would still need the mount that the control arms run to and that the differential mounts to.

You would have to take the drive/propeller shaft to a specialty shop for cut and balance if you wanted to use a 4 door one on a 2 door

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
You would still need the mount that the control arms run to and that the differential mounts to.
Yeah, that's my point. If Toyota didn't include those mounts (which would be unused on a 2WD) they would have to be custom fabricated or cut off a 4WD and welded onto the body.
As I said I'll have to look under some 4.1 RAV4s in parking lots but in my area it'll probably be hard to find a 2WD RAV4 and I've never seen the one that really counts a 2-door.
Maybe the OP could take a few pictures under the back rear of his.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did such swap in my 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. IMO, convertible Eclipses (Spyder) are worth such conversion, because they never came with AWD option. It was a relatively involved job, because there are some sheet metal differences and gas tank is totally different. But there are over 100 such conversions, so there is LOTS of support on line!

I carefully inspected undercarriage of my FWD Rav4 to see what needs to be changed and here are my observations:

- Gas tank already has tunnel for the driveshaft - so you should be able to keep it
- Driveshaft carrier bearing mounts are on FWD chassis
- The entire rear sub frame would have to be changed

But overall, this appears to be much more of an bolt-in affair, than it was on my Mitsibushi.

I wasn't quite ready to do this swap, so I sold the 5sp transmission and junked the rear end with the shell, I did however, kept the rare 2 door driveshaft, just in case I decide to do this and use 4 door donor car ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
You need to get a donor RAV4 because from what I understand, some of the parts like the drive shaft/propeller shaft is no longer available new. This way it would be a simple matter of taking parts off of one and moving them to the other after making sure they are in good shape. If you don't have anywhere to keep the donor, you can usually put one in a storage facility.

Check out www.copart.com to find a donor, of course it would need to be a 2 door version.
The propeller shaft is still available from Toyota for big bucks. You can get an aftermarket shaft for about half of what Toyota ask for theirs. I am in the process of installing a new propeller-shaft in my Rav4 this morning. While the Toyota manual shows how to replace the center bearing support, Toyota says the shaft, u-joints, and center support, are replaced as a single unit. My made in the USA aftermarket propeller-shaft is completely rebuild-able. They build replacement shafts for both 2 and 4 door Rav4s.

1999 Toyota RAV4 Drive Shaft - Toyota RAV4 Driveline - Free Shipping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts