Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...looking for some help. My daughters 2013 RAV 4 i4 AWD is giving us some problems...check engine, ABS and 4WD lights are on. When i jumper terminals 4 and 13, the check engine light flashes 1, then four times, and the ABS and 4WD lights constantly flash. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
The 4-13 jumper method is not for when the CE light is on. That indicates OBDII codes and the need to have them read.
In any case when you did use the jumper the continuous steady flashing of the ABS and 4WD lights means no error codes are present with those systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4-13 jumper method is not for when the CE light is on. That indicates OBDII codes and the need to have them read.
In any case when you did use the jumper the continuous steady flashing of the ABS and 4WD lights means no error codes are present with those systems.
The car idles rough and the CE, ABS & 4WD light are lit when the car is running. There's a pretty good vibration most likely the engine when driving... 73k miles, wasn't expecting this kind of thing from Toyota this early in the life of the car...

Thanks again from any assistance given

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Could be something as simple as a bad spark plug or even a hose that became disconnected but you won't know until you have the OBDII codes read. Then you'll know. Until then it's all wild guesses. So far you've confirmed the ABS and 4WD are okay.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Try giving the MAF a clean
On a wild guess? Why try anything before reading what the car is trying to tell you, especially taking something apart and possibly doing damage?

·
Registered
245 Posts
On a wild guess? Why try anything before reading what the car is trying to tell you, especially taking something apart and possibly doing damage?

Not going to get into it, asked for a suggestion. IMO that is a very good one. Especially one that may help the issue. Along with not having access to an OBDII readily at hand, this is an easy try.
Have to start somewhere. And causing damage cleaning the MAF is a possibility, a very little one at best.
But, thanks for your input and a wild guess is how a lot of problems are solved. At least you keep an open mind.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Fair enough, he did ask for suggestions.
If this was before OBDII or I didn't have access to one of my several readers or have two AP stores withing a few miles, my guess would follow his symptoms.
The car idles rough and ... There's a pretty good vibration most likely the engine when driving...
Probably means one cylinder is misfiring. I'd disconnect one coil at a time until I found one that doesn't change the idle. Then I'd swap first the coil then the spark plug with another cylinder until the miss moves and replace the part that caused it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Why guess when you can plug a small device into the car and know for sure? Like the fist post mentioned there are auto parts store that will check for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts