Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry this is my first post. I'm a bit pressed for time right now so I'll have to do my intro post, profile, avatar, etc later.

I have a 2008 Rav4 AWD with the V6 and almost 140k miles. The roads are wet today and when pulling out at a stop light I felt a tire spin just a bit then felt a clunk coming from the rear. I was a block from home so I just parked it in my driveway. I did a quick visual underneath but didn't see anything obvious. It's been raining all day and my driveway is a mud pit so I can't even jack it up to get under it. I tried backing it out and I hear and feel a click, click, click coming from the rear of the vehicle when the wheels are turning. Am I right in thinking this is probably a CV joint? Are there any special tools involved to replace it? And a ballpark on the cost? Thanks in advance and sorry for seeming rude by just popping in and posting like this without doing an intro or profile. I gotta go out and borrow a friends truck so we have wheels until this is fixed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would not think CV joint. Unless one of them has popped out of the diff or the boot is visibly damaged I would not suspect CV joint.
Sorry but I don't think this is something one can armchair diagnose. Your going to have to crawl under there and check thing out.

I would look for damage at the u-joints on the drive shaft. Could be the auto clutch in the rear diff, but that won't have any visual clues. Check all the half shafts and CV joints. Check to make sure the plastic splash shield is no ripped off and jammed up someplace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's going to a shop. I was just hoping to get some idea of what I was getting into. Other than basic maintenance my grease monkey days are over. I don't even have a place to safely run it up on ramps. I lost my 24'x60' garage along with all my tools save my mig welder, cutting torch, and metal chop saw to the ex wife. Losing tools you spent 17 years collecting kinda sapps the will to wrench, and my current garage is barely big enough to work on my motorcycle in.

It's hitting the shop next week. If I remember I'll stop by and post an update. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks. It's going to a shop. I was just hoping to get some idea of what I was getting into. Other than basic maintenance my grease monkey days are over. I don't even have a place to safely run it up on ramps. I lost my 24'x60' garage along with all my tools save my mig welder, cutting torch, and metal chop saw to the ex wife. Losing tools you spent 17 years collecting kinda sapps the will to wrench, and my current garage is barely big enough to work on my motorcycle in.
It's hitting the shop next week. If I remember I'll stop by and post an update. Thanks again.
Pardon me for intruding, but what would an ex-wife do with a mig welder, cutting torch and a chop saw?:serious
Let us know what the shop finds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Neither corner is sagging, but if it's a small break it may not be noticeable. It's a bit dryer today. I may be able to wiggle under the corners to visually check that.

We just spent over 4 grand for surgery on our German shepard who got injured at the groomers and had to file a suit against them. So money is a bit tight so it would be great if Toyota would cover it. Is it due to a recall or some kind of lifetime warranty? I bought it new off the lot so I'm the original owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Pardon me for intruding, but what would an ex-wife do with a mig welder, cutting torch and a chop saw? Let us know what the shop finds."

Be a mean vindictive b!0tch. Actually my mig, torch, and chop saw are the only things I got to keep. They just happened to be loaned out to a friend and we're never returned ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had to take it to a dealer today. The verdict, it needs a transfer case. They also said because of the transfer case going it needs a transmission as well. $9,200 parts and labor. I know a guy with a transmission shop who rebuilds, or at worst can get me used parts. And he can give the tranny a better going over and tell me if it really will need replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts