Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, mine is 2013 Rav4 Limited. I am planning to change tires to some off road tires or some wide tires. I visited many tire centers in recent days but everyone gave same response that its possible for the trim you are having as its already 18 inch wheel. Can anyone based on your research or experience suggest me what I can do or if you guys know any tires for the same size which gives the rough look.

Thanks,
Ravi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you looked at Tire Rack? When I was looking for a good tire for the old 4Runner I found them at Tire Rack. Traded it in for a 17 Rav4.

I see you are in Ill. Im in Mo. so our weather is about the same. Most of my driving was commuter but due to my job I was on New construction sites (Mud, Mud, and Mud). Over the last few years the snow fall here has been 4" - 6" at any one time. The road crews here are pretty good so its mainly traffic that ties everyone up. The real problem is Packed Snow and ice. Wet traction was also high on my list.
These are different requirements for a single tire tread, aggressive for Mud and Rain groves for ICE and Wet.
You will half to decide what your NEEDS and $$ are.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i looked at it but there are no good options for 18 inch wheel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think i made a mistake.. stock size for you is 235/55 R18.. Sorry. But you could probably install 255/55/R18 :) They are approx 29" x 10.9 versus stock 27.2 x 9.9
So it`s not that much of a difference, but your gas mileage will definitely take a hit :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last week i asked the same question when I went tire shop atleast can I go for 255/55R18 they said no. They told you will hear hard road noise and while turning rubber may ripoff slowly thats what they said.

·
Registered
184 Posts
last week i asked the same question when I went tire shop atleast can I go for 255/55R18 they said no. They told you will hear hard road noise and while turning rubber may ripoff slowly thats what they said.

i heard that NO from tire shops so many times.. If your rim is 7.0", which i think it is, . then it`s approved by tire manufacturer to install 255/55 R18. Approved for rim width 7.0 to 9.0

Website: Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't think independent shop would care too, they would probably install it without even questioning. Usually it's places like Goodyear or STS or firestone that is giving hard time to people. Maybe there is off-road shop in your area, those will install 35s for you if ask without even blinking :). One thing though, a lot of sales and free shipping going online nowadays, maybe it's cheaper to buy them online.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You need to find an independent shop and have them order the tires. Then remove them from your RAV and take the tires and rims up to the shop to have them mounted and balanced.

If you do not take the car up there, they usually turn a blind eye to what Toyota says your car is supposed to use.
That's why I buy online, avoiding the remark of sellers. At the moment you respect a 3% of difference in size ratio from the oem size to another, there is no problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ivan I will try doing that. Thanks a lot for your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts