Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people still call them "Fan" belts but I need to change it real soon. There are millions of tiny cracks in it and it is starting to squeel.

I've changed many before on other cars but I can't seem to locate the point at which it loosens up. With all my other cars it was as simple as loosening the altinator and pushing it down out of the way and --- presto!---Bob's your uncle!

Someone let me know. I planning a trip the Florida in the comming weeks and I want it in tip-top shape to travel.

Thanks. M. :?

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's pretty easy, you don't even have to remove the right front wheel. Just turn the steering full to the right which makes it easier to remove the splash shield and access the belt/pulleys.

You don't need to remove the alternator or anything else to remove the belt because the idler pulley is mounted on a spring-loaded tensioner bracket. There is a "fake" bolt head on the bracket, and all you have to do is use a long breaker bar (with a socket) or a serpentine tool and pull towards you on the bracket to release tension on the belt. IIRC, you pull towards the front of the vehicle, however I can't remember completely. The tensioner takes a lot of force to pull it back, so you want a tool that is long enough to give you a good amount of leverage.

Although I managed to do the job myself, it goes a lot faster if you have a second person to hold back the tensioner while you slip the belt off and on through the wheel well.

By the way a genuine Toyota belt ran me about $84 USD at the dealer, however you can get a Dayco or Goodyear belt for about $40-50 USD at an auto parts store. Although the Toyota belts are more expensive, they seem to last longer and are more quiet than some of the aftermarket belts, therefore I opted for the Toyota belt.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff, I'll check NAPA here in town first then maybe if its comparable then the dealer.

Good to know ahead of time, I'll need a longer Johnson......bar I mean. :lol: "Johnson Bar" or Breaker Bar as you call it.

Thanks. M. :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can go out and buy/rent one of these:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00941831000&bidsite=CRAFT

But they are only good for one thing and you will probably only use it a couple of times, which I don't think is worth the $20-30 they cost. However, a breaker bar or so-called "flex handle" or "johnson bar" can also be used (along with a socket), and it has a lot more uses than a serpentine tool for roughly the same price.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00944202000

I have the 18" bar above, and it gives me just enough leverage to loosen rusted bolts or lug nuts. You can always slip a pipe (or "cheater bar") over it for more leverage, but I have never needed to.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already priced one place and it was $23.99 for the belt for a RAV with A/C like mine. I guess the price has come down since you needed one.

My RAV Just rolled over to 80,000 kms (49689 mi).

Thanks.
Later. M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts