Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4 Base Model with 4WD and a 2.4L engine. I need to remove the passenger side tail light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There are 3 nuts that are accessible after you remove all the trim. They are difficult to access because two of the nuts that you can't see very well. A mirror helps. Note that if you drop the nuts, they go into a section of the body that generally makes them irretrievable. Put some rags below the inside assembly and have a magnetic pickup tool handy. Once you get the nuts off, there will be a plastic catch that you need to unlatch with a screw driver. That is also a PITA. There are electrical connector plugs that you will need to unlatch too.

Installing the housing is tough because it is easy to drop the nuts. Hot glue the nut to your socket, or tape the edges to hold it on and prevent dropping. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I started a thread when I replaced a rear tail light assembly, although mine is 2008 model:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/222177-reputable-aftermarket-brands-lamp-parts.html

It's mounted to the body with three nuts, one of which is readily accessible through rear panel opening, but the other two are recessed and the access requires removal of interior rear quarter panel, which in turn required removal of good bit of trunk floor panel trims. Inteior panel removal took the most time.

Also, as previous comment noted, the two recessed nuts sits just above a metal cavity, and if they fall into it, they are gone. I resorted to stuff the cavity with rags just below the nuts to catch the nut if it drops - take your time to remove the nuts so that you don't lose them.

I am sure there is some discrepancy between 06 model and 08 model. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
That thread provides a good write-up. I was able to remove and replace mine without completely removing the side trim. I took all the fasteners out except the the passenger seat, seat belt anchor bolt. Then I could flex the panel enough and hold it with a bungy cord to access the tail light nuts, clip, and electrical plugs. Of course, the flat mounted storage tray behind the passenger seat does have to be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts