Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I damaged my driver side door on my 2007 Limited RAV4 and need to replace it. I've been calling up salvage yards to find a matching door. The question I have and advise I need is would it be better to get a door that is the same color (Nautical Blue Metallic) but may be a different year and trim (could be a base model door with a black handle and no side molding) or would it be better to get a door that matches everything except the color and thus would need to be painted.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Welcome!
I just approved your new member post so you should get answers now.

I'd be trying to find the same color door and deal with any trim issues. You might try car-part.com which may list color. Don't expect even the same color door to be a perfect match. Could also search eBay.

Having it painted sounds simple but many shops may want to paint the whole side of the car because they can't match the color exactly either.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would attempt to find a door which matches everything except the color, if possible. A good body shop these days can match colors perfectly, so they could repaint the door to color match the rest of your RAV. A local body shop repaired a small dent on my RAV which then needed to be repainted, and they matched the metallic paint on the rest of my RAV perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Maybe I'm bonkers but I think an exact match shouldn't be that hard to find. The condition it's in is another story.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I advise getting a Limited door, with identical inner door panels.
- if the wrecker door inside was exposed to rain, the PW & PDL would likely need swapped from your door

Often when the interior vinyl & contour of the panel differs, the Power option attachment points can differ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on this.

I went to a couple of autobody shops and they quoted me $4300 and $3800 to fix the door!!!!. Insanity. I thought I might as well file an insurance claim. Well, when I went to get the insurance appraisal of the damage, the guy told me they might total my car!!!. I told him not to submit the appraisal and decided then that I'd do it myself.

Glory to God! I found a door of the same color code and year fairly local to me. (I had to drive 2 hours to get it). It even had the "Limited" emblem and colored handle. And get this..... the price $375

I just swapped the door out today and now good as it was. Sure there are a couple nicks. But I'll take that over the outrageous prices the autobody shops wanted.

photo is attached. (I don't get the restriction on being able to submit inline photos. Seem pretty lame)

All I need to do now is apply the door molding guard. Any advice on that?
I do need to fix the passenger door though. But that can wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update on this.

I went to a couple of autobody shops and they quoted me $4300 and $3800 to fix the door!!!!. Insanity. I thought I might as well file an insurance claim. Well, when I went to get the insurance appraisal of the damage, the guy told me they might total my car!!!. I told him not to submit the appraisal and decided then that I'd do it myself.

Glory to God! I found a door of the same color code and year fairly local to me. (I had to drive 2 hours to get it). It even had the "Limited" emblem and colored handle. And get this..... the price $375

I just swapped the door out today and now good as it was. Sure there are a couple nicks. But I'll take that over the outrageous prices the autobody shops wanted.

photo is attached. (I don't get the restriction on being able to submit inline photos. Seem pretty lame)

All I need to do now is apply the door molding guard. Any advice on that?
I do need to fix the passenger door though. But that can wait.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts