Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a 2012 push button ignition Rav4 Limited. We've lost one of our two remotes, and I want to get another remote. Called the dealer and it's a fortune (close to $500 including recutting the little key that opens the door if remote battery dies). They are charging 199 just for the replacement remote. and 150 for programming. Must we have the dealer do the programming? It's a 3 button remote (just lock, unlock and panic) FCC no. HYQ14AEM. Thank you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In our area a couple locksmiths advertise their ability to make the new smart keys for cars - no need to pay dealer prices for those. But not sure about the remote. Never hurts to call and check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. There are very few car locksmiths around, but I'll make some calls on Monday. I tried different dealers, and the prices were quite variable. One place charges slightly lower for the transmitter/remote, but charges literally half for programming (75 instead of 150).

·
Registered
303 Posts
There are a couple of postings on this. Read up and go get the blanks on ebay. Software should run you at less than $50. For the dealer price of $500, you could potentially program yourself 2 key fobs if done right. Not easy and isn't cut and dry but I've read of some success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts