Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have TPS removed but there are 4 wires ,yellow,blue/red,blue,brown.
Need to know what volts at rest and full throttle and how to test if sensor is good.Thx

·
Registered
731 Posts
I rarely change throttle position sensors on Toyota vehicles.

If it has a glitch, the only way you can catch it is with a scope. A voltmeter is too slow to catch dropouts.

To start at the beginning, what problem are you having?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought i would rule out extremely bad fuel mileage by testing TPS.I have cheaked cylinder compression,EGR valve,plugs changed,new wires,cap rotor, ect.No check engine light,thinking off just changing out the
2 02 sensors,there prob getting lazy.There original (100000 miles on motor) no muffler pipe leaks,all fluids changed ect,air filter new.Thx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes saw that but the TPS is different on that car,mine is a pin connector with diff colors,also it dosent state
weather the key to be on (motor not running) or completely off,i did try but without exact info its hard to know
for sure whats going on.Thx I am trying to find the info on TPS in the online shop manual but havent found yet,alot off info the look at.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Try autoshop101, it's a technical website for Toyotas, this is going to sound crazy but when I looked on my laptop what I saw was very informative and goes into much detail and shows you how to check the TPS off the car, when I look on my iPad all I see is basic stuff. I'm in California for the winter and only have my iPad otherwise I'd post a link to what I found, but suffice to say I was able to use my multimeter and check the contacts were closing correctly and also as the TPS swings from closed throttle to wide open throttle and the voltage changing in the process. I was looking for an erratic movement at what could have been the 1900-2500 rpm range which would have told me to buy a new one. Everything I saw was correct though. Rockauto had a deal on for a TPS for under $30 I think so I may just get one anyway while I am here, I've changed pretty much everything else already!
If you are looking to check yours on the car then you'll need to hook up to a scanner, as Kevin said, ours are OBD1 in the UK and quite basic, not sure where you are, I had mine scanned five years ago at a Toyota dealer and was able to determine quite a lot, if you have OBD11 then you'll probably be able to check this, what they'll charge though I don't know.....
Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for info,I think i need to take to a dealer and have it tested but first i have ordered 2 new
Denso 02 sensors.Upper and lower and should have tomorrow,will install and see if mileage
changes at all.With a 100,000 miles the original units maybe tired and hopefully the new ones will help.
I think i read some were that these sensors are designed to last 160000 kilometers or 100000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any luck with replacing the O2 sensors? I am considering the same thing as I have checked/replaced everything else that has been mentioned on this forum. Just wondering if replacing them worked for you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Comparing what you spent on the O2 sensors vs what you have been losing on fuel mileage, I think you are further in the hole now. How many gallons of fuel could you buy for what the O2 sensors cost?

As many here know, I detest shotgun diagnosis. Test and diagnose and test to verify THEN replace.

NEW= Never Ever Worked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts