Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a wild goose chase with my wife's Rav4. The check engine, VSC and 4WD lights are on and the only code I get is P0441. I have replaced the charcoal canister and the purge valve under the hood and the problem still exists. I have had it in the shop and they did a smoke test on it and they found no leaks. Any advice on what to look at next? A couple people at work said I should replace the PCV valve and see if that helps. Her vehicle also burns oil and it doesn't get the best gas mileage anymore which a couple of people say could be the PCV vlave. Overall, I'm at a loss since the mechanics said to replace the charcoal canister and the purge vlave and I'm still having trouble.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm no expert in this except that after reading a lot of posts from the oil burning 2006-2008 (4-cyl 2.4L engine) RAVs, there seem to be a lot concerning failing sensors, catalytic converters and other emissions problems which I can only surmise is related to the excessive oil burning.

How many miles on her car, what level of oil burning have you obsrved, and have you taken it in for the 'oil burning consumption' test at a Toyota dealer?

It certainly couldn't hurt to replace the PCV valve to see if it helps. Looking at a manual, it appears to be an easy replacement item due to location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her car has around 120,000 miles on it. I add about 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles or so. She has a couple of recalls out on her car that we need to get fixed so I might have the dealer look at it then. Our Toyota dealership here is notorious for scamming people so I honestly don't want to take my vehicle there but maybe the oil burn is the problem.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Based on that, I'd still replace the PCV valve--just looking at it will tell you something. Be sure to clear the code and see if it comes back. The 1/2-quart in 1K miles doesn't quite qualify for the piston rebuild, but you should have the test done. (Use the "search" feature at the top of the screen to find some of the threads about it and get a feel for that testing process.) It is free and unlimited miles until the end of this month, but after that is still good for 10 years from your first date in service and 150K miles, so it might pay off down the road. Might be worth driving a distance to find a better dealer to test it, also.

For the codes and how to troubleshoot, I'd also use the search feature, type in 'code PO441' for starters. Also be sure to read the large sticky thread about multiple warning lights coming on. Tons of info there. Mine (a 2009) hasn't had a problem but I read up on them to be prepared. Keep us informed, the smart folks here seem to help the more you post about it as you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree the PCV valve should be replaced as an easy shotgun diagnosis for oil consumption, but it will do nothing for your EVAP issue.

Since an external leak has been ruled out with the smoke test, then you probably have a valve that is not operating correctly. A common fault is the purge control solenoid, which is under the hood. It sends vacuum to the charcoal canister during purge operation.
5 hours after the ignition switch is turned OFF, the leak detection pump creates negative pressure (vacuum) in the EVAP system. The ECM monitors for leaks and actuator malfunctions based on the EVAP pressure. If the engine coolant temperature is not below 35°C (95°F) 5 hours after the ignition switch is turned OFF, the monitor check starts 2 hours later. If it is still not below 35°C (95°F) 7 hours after the ignition switch is turned OFF, the monitor check starts 2.5 hours later.

P0441
Purge VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) stuck open

Leak detection pump creates negative pressure (vacuum) in EVAP system and EVAP system pressure measured. Reference pressure measured at start and at end of leak check.

If stabilized pressure higher than [second reference pressure x 0.2], ECM determines that purge VSV stuck open.

After EVAP leak check performed, purge VSV turned ON (open), and atmospheric air introduced into EVAP system. Reference pressure measured at start and at end of check.

If pressure does not return to near atmospheric pressure, ECM determines that purge VSV stuck closed.

While engine running, following conditions successively met:

Negative pressure not created in EVAP system when purge VSV turned ON (open)
EVAP system pressure change less than 0.5 kPa-g (3.75 mmHg-g) when vent valve turned ON (closed)
Atmospheric pressure change before and after purge flow monitor less than 0.1 kPa-g (0.75 mmHg-g)

Take the purge solenoid off and try to blow through it. You should be able to. Energize the solenoid and you should not be able to blow through it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just want to post a simple fix before anyone decides on purchasing a new charcoal canister for 300 to 600 dollars.

The p0441 code can also be caused by the canister purge valve. It's located by the air box on the 2006 to 2012 Rav4. It's connected to a blueish, connector.

The valve can malfunction or stick. I did this simple thing and was able to fix it....I sprayed WD40 in both ends of the valve. When I did, brown debris came out of it. Once it was only clear fluid dripping out, I shook the rest out and reinstalled.

This corrected the issue of p0441. If your charcoal canister looks pristine, meaning no obvious damage or rust on the pressure sensor, then I would try to clean and lube the canister purge valve.

Obviously, this is all pending that all vacuum hoses and such are intact. But the pcv valve and the canister purge valve should be the things to check first.

I just passed inspection and prior to this I tried swapping out the canister and pressure sensor, changing the pcv valve, despite it working, and changing hoses which were fine. The code still popped up after a few miles of driving. But after lubing the canister purge valve, I have no DTC, no freeze frames or pending dtc. I passed inspection with flying colors....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just want to post a simple fix before anyone decides on purchasing a new charcoal canister for 300 to 600 dollars.

The p0441 code can also be caused by the canister purge valve. It's located by the air box on the 2006 to 2012 Rav4. It's connected to a blueish, connector.

The valve can malfunction or stick. I did this simple thing and was able to fix it....I sprayed WD40 in both ends of the valve. When I did, brown debris came out of it. Once it was only clear fluid dripping out, I shook the rest out and reinstalled.

This corrected the issue of p0441. If your charcoal canister looks pristine, meaning no obvious damage or rust on the pressure sensor, then I would try to clean and lube the canister purge valve.

Obviously, this is all pending that all vacuum hoses and such are intact. But the pcv valve and the canister purge valve should be the things to check first.

I just passed inspection and prior to this I tried swapping out the canister and pressure sensor, changing the pcv valve, despite it working, and changing hoses which were fine. The code still popped up after a few miles of driving. But after lubing the canister purge valve, I have no DTC, no freeze frames or pending dtc. I passed inspection with flying colors....
This is Golden! Thank you for your reply. Will be looking into this today after I get off work. This code has been plaguing me for months. Charcoal canister and other items have been replaced already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did this for two years and it worked but eventually stopped working again after about 5000 miles each time. I eventually purchased a new one and replaced it. Been fine since

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Take the purge solenoid off and try to blow through it. You should be able to. Energize the solenoid and you should not be able to blow through it.
It doesn't look like Fixit has been on this site in a few years. I removed my purge solenoid valve and tried to blow through it. I couldn't. Also, I have a new purge solenoid valve that I installed. Before I installed it, I tried to blow through it. I couldn't blow through it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts