Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some hard miles, 65,240 to be exact. My RAV4 is asking for a new clutch. Recently on a quick trip to campus, I was going up hill at a modest pace. When I went from fourth to third gear, I felt the clutch pedal was engaging, a little hard, but then the gear box made a horrendous noise. Crunch! Like it was grinding gears. I felt that noise in my heart. :shock:

I looked at the Toyota Manuel and it said that the clutch needs to be changed every 60,000 miles. Thank God I always have a stock pile of parts stashed away in the garage. I went a checked it out. Sure enough, there it was. A new Zoom, performance clutch. Just what the doctor ordered. Now, installing it is another dilemma. Since the engine has to come out, I'll install the TOGA performance oil pump and water pump. I'm on my way to buttering up the engine for the turbo kit. Which is also in the garage. The Turbo kit needs some other parts, but at least I have 80% of the deal. I would need a performance fuel pump, a computer managing kit and some other parts. Thank God we have DJ Sueno. Also, a compression check of the engine will be done.

:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi, impossible, I heard on other forms that the clutch should last a very long time.... Do you know in which section does it say you need to change the clutch after 60K, that would seem obsured, unless you are just messing with us :roll:

Since I can't do this, this would mean big big bucks at the stealership, to be frank with you, I would rather sell the car than pay for these repairs? Any one else here that agrees with the 60K interval?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Hey Mensa,

Have you experienced that grind anymore since? or just that one time ? it is possible to miss your shift and grind gears... i'm sure everyone has done it at least once... :p

Anyways, I hope your clutch isn't going out because labor costs are NOT cheap.... as for the recommended 60k, I don't know, I would assume it depends on driving conditions, and driving city or highway would also make a difference on the clutch as well....many parts can exceed the recommended change, but they can also fail at any time before or after, so it's basically a guideline...

If you need any parts that I have for sale I will give you a good deal and throw in extra goodies... :wink: send me an IM of what you're looking for...

Good luck, hope everything works out... :)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BAZRAV4 said:
Hi, impossible, I heard on other forms that the clutch should last a very long time.... Do you know in which section does it say you need to change the clutch after 60K, that would seem obsured, unless you are just messing with us :roll:

Since I can't do this, this would mean big big bucks at the stealership, to be frank with you, I would rather sell the car than pay for these repairs? Any one else here that agrees with the 60K interval?
As everyone knows in this forum. RAV4 are adapted to their specific country. I live in the mountains of PR. Also, everyone knows How I drive. :) . When I feels anything wrong with my RAV4. I install what ever it is, and the best. Besides, I need an excuse to be able to install all the stuff that I have in the garage. My obstacle is my wife :lol: :lol: .

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJ Sueno said:
Hey Mensa,

Have you experienced that grind anymore since? or just that one time ? it is possible to miss your shift and grind gears... i'm sure everyone has done it at least once... :p

Anyways, I hope your clutch isn't going out because labor costs are NOT cheap.... as for the recommended 60k, I don't know, I would assume it depends on driving conditions, and driving city or highway would also make a difference on the clutch as well....many parts can exceed the recommended change, but they can also fail at any time before or after, so it's basically a guideline...

If you need any parts that I have for sale I will give you a good deal and throw in extra goodies... :wink: send me an IM of what you're looking for...

Good luck, hope everything works out... :)
Yeah, just once. Maybe I was a little tired and my coordination of clutch pedal and hand was a little off. But don't say anything to my wife. I have almost all I need to make the change......except money. :lol: :lol: :lol: Naaah...everything is FINE. She has a botique and she helps me a lot. :thumbs_up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts