Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Never Had A Black Car Before

341 11
My 2022 RAV4 Prime SE is Midnight Black Metallic and I have never had a black car before and don't know much about products to use on the finish. The dealer applied some sort of paint protection on it (also has PPF on fenders, hood, back of mirrors at POE and soon front bumper at my auto detailer). My question is do you use a black polish on it after it is washed something like Turtle Wax Black Polish? What makes a polish a "black" polish? Do the black polishes make the paint look richer with a deeper black color/shine?

I used Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic polish/wax on my Mustang Mach E and was happy with the results so I'm thinking their product for black cars should be good too.

Anybody with a black RAV4 have advice?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
You should find out what the dealership did, or had done.
They don't do anything for paint protection.

You don't want to polish it if they already took care of it. Polish of course is cutting the surface to flatten it. If the dealership for some reason had it ceramic coated (highly unlikely unless you have a line item for it), you should not have to do anything aside from washing.

I'm in the process of finishing my car with the TW hybrid solutions. Thursday morning I'm applying the 2nd coat of the Hybrid coating.
I clayed it and used the polish/wax that you are describing.

I wondered about the black polish, but since I already had more than enough of the regular hybrid stuff I went for it on my Magnetic Gray.

Advice: find out what this mystery product is that they did for you.
Otherwise you may want to go ahead and get your machine out and get to polishing.
I did clay mine like I said, and it's beautifully smooth. This evening I cleaned the exterior glass and applied Rain-X. I'm ready for the outdoors (well I will be Friday morning after another 24 hours of curing.
Because of other projects, I've had 48 hours of cure on the wax and 48 on the first coat of spray coating.

The YouTube channel Apex Detail has a good video showcasing the TW Hybrid black stuff you're talking about. Maybe check it out.
He's a bald guy named Brian (in case you find another apex detail out there).
He is one of my favorite detail channels. Learned from him a few years ago (the channel) and revisited a few of his videos recently to remind myself good steps to do a thorough job.

·
Registered
437 Posts
All a "black polish" does is fills in and hides the blemishes. I have never personally used a "black polish". Proper washing and drying techniques and minimizing contact is your best bet. I have owned a black vehicle before and suspect the dealer used something like a black polish to hide everything when I bought it new. When I strip washed it everything stood out. I won't own a black car ever again. They look nice when they are clean, but they are a lot of work. I have polished my fair share of black.

I know nothing about Turtle Wax as I have never used it and won't. I honestly believe the product is geared towards average consumer that just wants a clean car. I personally know of no one that is a pro detailer that uses their products. If it works for you and you're happy with your results then use it.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should find out what the dealership did, or had done.
They don't do anything for paint protection.

You don't want to polish it if they already took care of it. Polish of course is cutting the surface to flatten it. If the dealership for some reason had it ceramic coated (highly unlikely unless you have a line item for it), you should not have to do anything aside from washing.

I'm in the process of finishing my car with the TW hybrid solutions. Thursday morning I'm applying the 2nd coat of the Hybrid coating.
I clayed it and used the polish/wax that you are describing.

I wondered about the black polish, but since I already had more than enough of the regular hybrid stuff I went for it on my Magnetic Gray.

Advice: find out what this mystery product is that they did for you.
Otherwise you may want to go ahead and get your machine out and get to polishing.
I did clay mine like I said, and it's beautifully smooth. This evening I cleaned the exterior glass and applied Rain-X. I'm ready for the outdoors (well I will be Friday morning after another 24 hours of curing.
Because of other projects, I've had 48 hours of cure on the wax and 48 on the first coat of spray coating.

The YouTube channel Apex Detail has a good video showcasing the TW Hybrid black stuff you're talking about. Maybe check it out.
He's a bald guy named Brian (in case you find another apex detail out there).
He is one of my favorite detail channels. Learned from him a few years ago (the channel) and revisited a few of his videos recently to remind myself good steps to do a thorough job.
Thank you for your advice! I tried to look up what they put on it and couldn't find the name of the product but I am not done investigating. The car goes in next week to my detailer for application of Xpel PPF on the front bumper and I have asked them to look at the finish to determine what they think was used. The person I talked with over the phone said it was most likely a product like 3M ceramic coating. I'm pretty sure it is some sort of ceramic coating. The car came off the truck at around 10:45 am and I purchased it around 11:45 am. The jockey drove it off after we test drove it around 12:30. It then went to the mechanic for the initial prep and that's when the product was applied after that. We didn't see the car again until around 4:30 pm (or a little later). It is super shiny and this product carries a 5 year guarantee on the finish protection.

So to answer your question, I still don't know what was applied but I'm still not done trying to find out (I have the sheet that guarantees the product and who to call if there is a problem but it does not state what exactly the product is). There was a laminated sheet on the salespersons desk talking about the product so I am going to e-mail him to get more details.

I used a clay bar and then applied two coats of the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution Ceramic coating to my Mustang Mach E when it was new so I am familiar with their product just not the one supposedly for black cars. I'll report back when I have more information and whether I can do anything to the finish or if I should leave it alone. Most likely I will just wash it like you have advised. My question was more about what makes a product referred to as "for black cars" and you have answered that for me. And I did view the video you are talking about.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,802 Posts
My 2022 RAV4 Prime SE is Midnight Black Metallic and I have never had a black car before and don't know much about products to use on the finish. The dealer applied some sort of paint protection on it (also has PPF on fenders, hood, back of mirrors at POE and soon front bumper at my auto detailer). My question is do you use a black polish on it after it is washed something like Turtle Wax Black Polish? What makes a polish a "black" polish? Do the black polishes make the paint look richer with a deeper black color/shine?

I used Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic polish/wax on my Mustang Mach E and was happy with the results so I'm thinking their product for black cars should be good too.

Anybody with a black RAV4 have advice?
Don't use "black" polish on paint. Black polish is meant for black vinyl such as the vinyl tonneau covers of the past. You can also use it on some black plastic which is not smooth such as black bumper covers, but never use it on paint.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't use "black" polish on paint. Black polish is meant for black vinyl such as the vinyl tonneau covers of the past. You can also use it on some black plastic which is not smooth such as black bumper covers, but never use it on paint.
I have never heard this before. Why does Turtle Wax advertise it for black car polish for the finish and (Mequiars) for black car wax? What is the reason not to use it on black paint?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are products that are made for black paint. But like I mentioned above, they just mask the imperfections.

I use the very same products I use on a black car that I use for every other color of car.
Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to talk to my detailer next week when they put on the Xpel PPF over the front bumper and ask them what they do for black cars. They may say exactly what you are saying. I know they don't use TW products but rather a professional ceramic coating (after a lot of surface prep). Seems like black cars are somewhat of a headache. Since my car is brand new I don't want to do anything to degrade the paint.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the paint won't degrade unless you clean it too often and rub it thin

problem with black cars is, they show every last crumb of dirt easily. if you want it to look clean, it needs to be clean
that means rubbing with something.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have never heard this before. Why does Turtle Wax advertise it for black car polish for the finish and (Mequiars) for black car wax? What is the reason not to use it on black paint?
I didn't think to mention it, SLS mentioned it above that it fills the pores.
The advertisement for the TW black stuff is to add depth I think? Maybe that is advertising speak for "we are filling the non black imperfections".

If you have left over Hybrid Solutions -I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Here is how the gray car looks in my garage without any sunlight.

2-shoplight reflections
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive design

And LED wand light helping show the metallic with light shining
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car Vehicle

And because everybody loves reflections shots.....
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Vehicle

The products I used this week (you'll see the hybrid solutions product I have
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Drink

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think to mention it, SLS mentioned it above that it fills the pores.
The advertisement for the TW black stuff is to add depth I think? Maybe that is advertising speak for "we are filling the non black imperfections".

If you have left over Hybrid Solutions -I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Here is how the gray car looks in my garage without any sunlight.

2-shoplight reflections
View attachment 187450

And LED wand light helping show the metallic with light shining
View attachment 187451

And because everybody loves reflections shots.....
View attachment 187452

The products I used this week (you'll see the hybrid solutions product I have
View attachment 187453
I do have a brand new bottle of TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic which I can use and from what I'm reading here, will use unless the detailer tells me otherwise next week (also because of Xzilon coating applied at the dealer). The TW hybrid solution made my Mustang Mach E's finish look beautiful.

I found out that the paint sealant the dealer used on my car was Xzilon Carbon Ceramic Exterior with Graphene Paint Protection (they also use a Diamond Grade Ceramic coating by Dow Corning). I'm pretty sure it was the graphene paint protection coating. This company has been rated as a scam by many who had it done when the company failed to live up to the 5 year warranty provided (they found every excuse they could to deny claims). They say in their FAQ that is it OK to use a carnauba wax over their product.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to talk to my detailer next week when they put on the Xpel PPF over the front bumper and ask them what they do for black cars. They may say exactly what you are saying. I know they don't use TW products but rather a professional ceramic coating (after a lot of surface prep). Seems like black cars are somewhat of a headache. Since my car is brand new I don't want to do anything to degrade the paint.
Your detailer is going to tell you that a proper wash and dry technique is going to benefit you the most. And to stay away from automatic car washes. The picture below is a sample of my work. There is no wax, coating or sealant on the door at that point. It is just polished.

There is nothing different about black or any other color. The only issue with black is that it shows everything.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts