Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 66 yrs old, recently retired. I've worked long, hard hours my whole life, and never given much of a thought to car maintenance. Once a year or so, when I think of it and could find the time, I'd get an oil change. Maybe a tune-up. Not much more.

I guess this is a testament to how well cars are built, because I've had pretty good luck with my cars, driving them over 100,000 miles with minimal trouble. When a car got expensive in terms of repairs, I'd just get a new one. It all worked out. I felt guilty about this, but I was really busy, and had no choice. When I did get my cars serviced I'd do it at a local garage, where I had no idea how good the quality of service was. Never went to a dealer for maintenance/repairs.

Now I have a 2013, 40,000 mile Rav4, and I'd like to take good care of it! I actually have the time to drive down to the local Toyota dealer and sit around their waiting room while they work on the car.

That said, I really don't have in mind what I should do to maintain the car. I'm not a car person. I don't read about cars. I don't think about cars.

I'd appreciate some advice on how I should maintain this car. It may be as simple as "change the oil every 5,000 miles and follow the recommended maintenance schedule in the Toyota user manual." Or it may be "read this" .... Or it may be, "let the Toyota dealer tell you what to do." Or it many be a basic list. Whatever. Any good advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend finding the maintenance schedule for your Rav4. Often times dealers will try to sell a 60k, 90k, or other type of service. Often these are big money makers for dealers and aren't necessary for your vehicle. Toyota's maintenance intervals are what I'd stick by.

That being said, I take care of my cars by using good fluids and filters, don't just buy the cheapest parts to save a buck. Factory Toyota filters and parts are pretty decent, and there is a wealth of opinions on which oils, filters, brand, etc. are great. Maybe some others will chime in.

Lastly, since you aren't a car guy, I'd try to link up with a good independent shop that you can trust to help you with some of the unscheduled things that may pop up. Most "non-car" people often overlook bearing noises, or suspension pops, or irregular tire wear which could help with prevention of more expensive repairs. Linking up with a good shop that will check these things regularly during oil changes or services would be good.

Hope some of this helps, there is a wealth of info on this forum related to maintenance and service for these.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my personnal advice and to save money, work on the car under warranty go to the dealer.

For all other maintenance, go to a trusted garage near you, cost less and keep your receipts.

Dealers charge too much for maintenance work.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
It may be as simple as "change the oil every 5,000 miles and follow the recommended maintenance schedule in the Toyota user manual."
It is that simple!
And I agree with the others - Toyota for warranty work only. And don't let them hit you with add-ons while they're doing free work. I've bought some dealer-only parts from them but never paid a dime for anything else. Probably had $5,000 worth of labor & parts done for free.

Then an independent shop for everything else. If they try upselling you with extras when doing an oil change go somewhere else. I am a car guy so my "independent shop" is my garage.

I can do just about any repair needed including rebuilding an engine and so can many other members here. We can answer virtually any question about your RAV4 so don't hesitate to ask us anything.

Reactions: LuckySixes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I'm looking at the "Maintenance Log" for the Rav4 - it has you rotating the tires every 5,000 miles (!) Is this necessary?

The maintenance log goes in 5,000 mile increments, and every check has you checking the drivers floor mat (OK, I understand why they say that - safety issue), and rotating the tires. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most car you should do tires rotation around 5000/6000 miles so they can wear equally. Harder to do with staggered setup of course.

Ain't a good thing to have 2 good tires and the 2 other at their end of life, traction issue may be a problem under rain/snow

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
So, I'm looking at the "Maintenance Log" for the Rav4 - it has you rotating the tires every 5,000 miles (!) Is this necessary?

The maintenance log goes in 5,000 mile increments, and every check has you checking the drivers floor mat (OK, I understand why they say that - safety issue), and rotating the tires. :)
Yes. The idea is to have the tires wear equally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Taking good care of one's vehicle can mean thousands of dollars of savings over the lifetime and eventual disposal value of the vehicle. Rather than look for places to skimp try embracing the new era of finally being a responsible car owner. Your wallet will thank you many times over.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The most important thing in my opinion is to change the oil and filter as required and use synthetic oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts