Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Bought a Base 06 Rav4 10 days ago. I'm really enjoying it but it's a bit of a departure from my 2002 VW GTI 1.8T.

Anyway.

I did my first grocery haul the other night, giddy with glee about the cargo net that came with the RAV. However, I can't really find a good way to hold groceries in place with it. I mean the hook-ups are so close to the gate/door that I'd be afraid to wedge them in there and have them tumble out when I open the door.

I also have these two bizarre aluminum pole things that have a cargo net in them too, which are equally as baffling. WTF is the purpose of those? I tried them in all the configurations the RAV allows for and can see no real purpose to them?

Anyway, Lookin for a way to keep my groceries from flyin around. Is that not what a cargo net is supposed to do? (In addition to holding stuff in the 'pocket' built into it?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used the net on the poles today for the plastic grocery bags, it worked fine, you put the poles in the top holes that are about a foot apart and it held all of my bags. I have read that you can store the poles in the lower storage bay.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
It would have been nice if they made one of the poles with more adjustment so it would fit in another pair of holes between the wheel wells below the forward top holes, then you wouldn't have to worry about the 20lb limit for the net.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BarnyFife said:
I used the net on the poles today for the plastic grocery bags, it worked fine, you put the poles in the top holes that are about a foot apart and it held all of my bags. I have read that you can store the poles in the lower storage bay.
The poles are stored, as well as the cargo net as I have deemed them useless currently.

:roll:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way to use the net for groceries is to set the poles into the two top pole slot holes that are closest to each other. This creates a cradle out of the net to hold the groceries - it's the same configuration as seen for holding soccer & basketballs in some of the promo photos for the car. This configuration works perfectly for me. The groceries don't slide around, make no noise and aren't crushed. You can't, of course, put a large amount of groceries in there though as there's not enough room and I don't think I'd overload the net too much. It's good for about 5-6 plastic bags of groceries -I do not put heavy stuff, like water, juices, heavy cans and jars in there. - J.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bought the cargo tote for $25.00 online. The Mrs. wanted it but I have to say it works ok. It holds 4 full grocery bags. That coupled with the 2 hooks and were good to go most of the time. When you don't want it it folds up to something like 12" x 8" x 2".

·
Registered
218 Posts
I actually thought the cargo net was going to be useless. We've found it to be wonderful for groceries. I have my baseball gear in the back so, it's like a second tier for other stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although you can put some things in the standard cargo net my 1st purhase was a bungee type cargo net. The hooks are already there ... there was nothing to install. You can fit a ton of odd sized things into it. Toyota should have made this type standard equip.

I did a search on ebay for 2006 RAV4 and the bungee net was there for $24.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mindflux you sound entirely too cranky for someone who just purchased a new RAV4! Please tell me the positives are outweighing the negatives so far for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One other thing that you can do with the poles is set them vertically in the back to slots. I did this to prevent things from sliding backward and marking up the plastic on the back door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts