Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having this great forum. I already love this car . Bought it in February with 73k miles. It has been well taken care of by appearance, but I don't know all the maintenance history.

My plans are to use it for towing a fairly light (1500 lbs) travel trailer at highway speeds, as well as general city use. Hitch and brake controller are on, so are new tires. It has the factory tow package.

Please recommend to me what kinds of service you would have done. Brake fluid and AT fluid were changed at 58k miles, but that was in 2013 per Carfax. Looking at the service manual, I'm thinking front and rear differential oils, transfer case oil, and perhaps brake and AT fluids again. What about a coolant flush? No record of that being done. Anything else?

I want to take good care of this car--I'd like to keep it forever. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wendy

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks for having this great forum. I already love this car . Bought it in February with 73k miles. It has been well taken care of by appearance, but I don't know all the maintenance history.

My plans are to use it for towing a fairly light (1500 lbs) travel trailer at highway speeds, as well as general city use. Hitch and brake controller are on, so are new tires. It has the factory tow package.

Please recommend to me what kinds of service you would have done. Brake fluid and AT fluid were changed at 58k miles, but that was in 2013 per Carfax. Looking at the service manual, I'm thinking front and rear differential oils, transfer case oil, and perhaps brake and AT fluids again. What about a coolant flush? No record of that being done. Anything else?

I want to take good care of this car--I'd like to keep it forever. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wendy
Here's some good advice from BLOGSON.

"you can check its service, recall and repair records which have been by Toyota dealers by going to www.toyotaowners.com, registering, and then going to the service page and entering the vehicle's VIN".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 2011. I had checked there, and the only thing a dealer did was a 15k service and changed the oil cooler hoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWD doesn't have a transfer case or rear differential, so nothing to maintain there (or ever go wrong). 20k miles on brake and AT fluid are nothing. you're good there, unless the brakes feel spongy.

I think coolant goes 100k, unless you have a reason I'd let it go that long. I understand the desire to want to "do something" but nothing seems to need attention in that list, even if you're very proactive. If it were me, I'd probably pour in a bottle of Lube Guard ATF protectant, a bottle or two of Techron fuel injector cleaner, and call it a day. Being that you're in TX I may do a fluid exchange on the transmission with maxlife ATF at 100k.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your reply, bbstn_drvr. I did have the brake fluid changed because I had some squeal and it was 4 years since it was changed. Turns out most of that squeal was coming from a broken sway bar that was rubbing on the axle, but it was found by the brake service guy. I appreciate your clearing me up on the transfer case and rear diff. I obviously don't have a lot of car knowledge. ;) On the rest I will heed your kind advice.

PS--I have ( or rather am had by) a Boston Terrier.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
You say it's 4WD but acknowledge the comment about front wheel drive.......which is it? Also which engine?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say it's 4WD but acknowledge the comment about front wheel drive.......which is it? Also which engine?
It is 4 wheel drive. It is the 3.5 liter V6. When I see "FWD" my mind sometimes interprets that F as standing for Four.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are correct, RTexasF, in that FWD does mean front wheel drive. As I said, my brain interpreted it as Four, which is not corrrect. Thus I didn't perceive the inconsistency in the posts above.

Thanks for that link--it cleared up a lot for me. I bookmarked it for future reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts