Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad in that I've had to pass on my beloved '01 Cherokee to another, and hopeful that I made a good choice with the '07 RAV4 Sport I just bought. Preferred a 4WD model, but settled on the 2WD with the LSD feature. Would have liked a V6, but the premium price didn't line up with what I wanted to spend.

Lot's of questions, and looking forward to learning about this vehicle here. Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to RAV4World! Unfortunately, the 2006-2008 RAV4 came with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, which has a manufacturing defect causing some of them to burn a lot of oil. Toyota has a warranty program in place to rebuild the engine if it burns oil excessively. You would need to act fast, as the program only covers the vehicle from 10 years of its first use date.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations, and welcome to RAV4World! Unfortunately, the 2006-2008 RAV4 came with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, which has a manufacturing defect causing some of them to burn a lot of oil. Toyota has a warranty program in place to rebuild the engine if it burns oil excessively. You would need to act fast, as the program only covers the vehicle from 10 years of its first use date.
That's unfortunate news. Since I have only just acquired the vehicle, I would have no idea if it burned an excessive amount of oil. It was a 1 owner car, local to NC, and the service records are excellent, so let's hope it doesn't need that warranty.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats packmule - on your one owner '07 Sport purchase (FWD-4cyl).

Just curious, on a percentage basic - what price premium, did the dealers place on:
- 4x4 ?
- v6-3.5L ?

·
Registered
807 Posts
That's unfortunate news. Since I have only just acquired the vehicle, I would have no idea if it burned an excessive amount of oil. It was a 1 owner car, local to NC, and the service records are excellent, so let's hope it doesn't need that warranty.
If it were me, I would take it to a local dealer for immediate lookover. I did this with my '03 back in 2011 when I thought the transmission was damaged from a TSB covered under an 8yr time period. (I barely made it) I ended up with a new Toyota ECM + Transmission after they confirmed I had a major issue. If you search the board for oil burning 2AZFE, it's kinda scary. Get that addressed before your chances run out...better safe than sorry!

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Check the oil, check the oil, check the oil. They can burn multiple quarts in less than 1500 miles. Sorry to drop this info on you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I bought this car two months after it turned 10, so I missed the warranty on the engine. The dealer was all pleasant to help until the checked. It does use oil, and I've got a reminder set to check it every two weeks.

I had an '01 Corolla with the sludge problem from back then. Bought it new, and paid for half an engine. Since I change my own oil, and could only prove I bought some, not that I put it in the car, they made me pay half the price of the repair.

Don't think I'll be buying another Toyota.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Well, I bought this car two months after it turned 10, so I missed the warranty on the engine. The dealer was all pleasant to help until the checked. It does use oil, and I've got a reminder set to check it every two weeks.

I had an '01 Corolla with the sludge problem from back then. Bought it new, and paid for half an engine. Since I change my own oil, and could only prove I bought some, not that I put it in the car, they made me pay half the price of the repair.

That's a shame, you bought 2 Toyotas, and ended up with 2 of the most atypical engines they made. The vast majority of us haven't had any oil burning or sludge problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts

packmule ^^
That's a shame...on major purchases, I usually join the Forum 1st for such needed research.
- it has never failed me
- luckily I took 6 months, to find the right v6 Limited 4x4 & from a private seller (a Doctor)
- good patience & model knowledge, has always got me a good used vehicle
- so I underpaid by $5,000 two years ago / staying away from all dealers & used car lots

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read a lot of reviews, but did not look for recalls and warranty issues, assuming in general that I was safe with the RAV4. Being one of the statistically least troublesome vehicles out there, and having discussed it with two trusted mechanics, I moved forward with this local one owner car with excellent dealer service records.

Next time, I'll be running VIN's on manufacturer sites looking for negative trends and issues.

Regardless, this is what I own, my son has my classic Jeep XJ, and I'll make the best of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To close this thread out officially, status update:

* Completed official oil consumption test with a dealership. This engine consumes 2 qts. every 1000-1300 miles.
* I missed the "first use" cut off to have the issue corrected by Toyota by 4 months.
* One owner, local, vehicle, and in ALL of the service records which were all done at the dealership there was never ANY mention of an oil consumption problem.
* "Check the CarFax" is an insufficient strategy, and yee haa, I get to learn a new lesson. Thought my level of pre-purchase diligence was sufficient. Seemingly, it was not.
* Even though the same was not done by the original purchaser of the vehicle, who clearly ditched it without disclosing the problem, I will tell the next buyer what's wrong with it. I will probably drive it until it won't drive no mo', and send it to salvage.

To make myself feel better through all of this mess, I painted the wheels. The finish was corroded and bubbling anyway. Looks a whole lot better now at least. Now for some all weather mats. I wish I could lift it a bit like the Cherokee, but I don't like the options for that, and the outcome seems hardly worth it.

Won't buy another Toyota. After the 2001 Corolla we bought new, and had the sludge problem, and now this issue, I've had enough.

Attachments

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Why don't you call Toyota customer service and tell them just what you told us. They have often bent the rules on cases like this especially since they have all the documentation and you only missed the cutoff by 4 months. Wouldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why don't you call Toyota customer service and tell them just what you told us. They have often bent the rules on cases like this especially since they have all the documentation and you only missed the cutoff by 4 months. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks. Yep, did that. Wrote a letter to the North American CEO, and got a call from a fellow. Nice discussion but they said that there was nothing they could do for me. It would be unfair to all the others if they did so. Also, doing something like that could be considered a "secret warranty" which is illegal.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
BTW, are there any oil additives that folks have found will reduce consumption?
Many have been tried but no one has reported any success. The rings are defective and there's no cure other than replacing them with the newly designed rings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts